Luther Marsh

Northern Wellington County Bird Sightings

Moderator: wcleung

Luther Marsh

Postby BirderGuelph1 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:16 am

Hi everyone,

I tried sending a 'Wellbirds' e-mail yesterday but I didn't receive a copy back like usual so if someone from Guelph could let me know if they got it that would be appreciated.

On Sunday morning, at Luther Marsh:

3 American Bittern - 2 seen well at Monticello Wetland (The grass is all still flat and saw 2 together out in the open), 1 heard at Mallard Pond
3 Sandhill Cranes - Seen at Mallard Pond and more heard. When at Monticello, I could hear them in the direction of Mallard Pond as well
8 Great Egret - At Monticello Wetland just north of the heronry
2 Osprey - 1 on a nest at east edge of heronry (same nest as last year I'm pretty sure) and another down in the heronry. A Canada Goose was in the nest beside it.
7 Great Blue Heron - 5 in Monticello heronry, 2 flyovers (possibly 2 chicks in a nest. Too early? I couldn't get a clear enough look)
100+ Northern Pintail - Seen at Montcello Wetland

I will post some photos of the Bitterns soon. Great place to visit right now. No other visitors around. Just the Game Warden so make sure you pay your permit. :)

Curtis Combdon
BirderGuelph1

Re: Luther Marsh

Postby fred.urie on Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:43 pm

Excellent birding.

I went up the west side in Wellington County on Saturday and it sucked.

Your email didn't go through on Wellbirds.
fred.urie

Postby BirderGuelph1 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:47 pm

I've never explored the west side of the marsh before. I always go in the morning so I prefer the east side because the sun is behind me. I like the north road a lot too. As it's just starting to get light out, I like to park and listen to the marsh waking up. It makes you feel like you're out in the middle of the marsh and you never know what you'll hear. I have to leave Guelph at 4:30 am to do this but it's one of my favorite things to do. I figure it's socially acceptable to admit to this on a bird forum?..:)

Here are some photos of the Bittern. I stumbled upon two of them at first and I included a shot of both together. The one seemed to dissappear immeditely but the other stuck around and I photographed it for over 20 minutes. I left it alone for awhile and then later I checked on it to see what it was doing and it was standing on the trail by the grey shack. I included that photo because it shows where I saw them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94159609@N ... 389571184/

Hopefully others will report their sightings on here too. I have a feeling the Sandhills are nesting west of Mallard Pond. I heard a lot of ruckus coming from back there and the flyover I saw came from that direction. The trail goes further in west but I just did the loop around the pond. Good luck!
BirderGuelph1

Postby fred.urie on Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:47 pm

Thanks Curtis.

The 2 Am. Bitterns were standing out in the open pretending they were invisible. I shot them from the road.
fred.urie

Return to Fergus, Arthur, and Luther