Luther Marsh

Northern Wellington County Bird Sightings

Moderator: wcleung

Luther Marsh

Postby cindym on Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:26 pm

Drove around Luther Marsh and surrounding area monday morning..was warm and quiet and not nearly the biting bugs I've encountered here before so that was a pleasant surprise! Along with the common breeding birds in the area there was some worthwhile activity if you were patient enough until the heat drove you back to your air-conditioned car! Nice views of an adult SANDHILL CRANE with a jeuvenile crane; GREEN HERON; SPOTTED SANDPIPERS; KINGFISHER; WILD TURKEYS; RED-TAILED HAWK; male and female NORTHERN HARRIERS; OSPREY; AMERICAN KESTREL; GREAT BLUE HERONS; GREAT EGRETS (lots); PIED-BILLED GREBES; VEERY; CEDAR WAXWINGS; GREAT CRESTED FLYCATCHERS; LEAST FLYCATCHER; ALDER FLYCATCHER; PHOEBE; EASTERN KINGBIRDS (lots< one female on nest); 4 RAVENS; LOON; WHITED THROATED SPARROWS; SWAMP SPARROWS; CLAY-COLOURED SPARROW; SAVANNAH SPARROW; CLIFF SWALLOWS; INDIGO BUNTINGS; BROWN THRASHER; BOBOLINKS; EASTERN MEADOWLARKS; and the only warblers I saw were: OVENBIRD; COMMON YELLOWTHROAT; YELLOW; NASHVILLE and AMERICAN REDSTART.
cindym

Re: Luther Marsh

Postby fred.urie on Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:38 pm

I drove a mile of the south end townline yesterday with the windows open, and the car filled up with deer flies.

I heard a Hermit Thrush singing on the Dufferin County side. I know of one other site in Wellington County where Hermit Thrushes nest.
fred.urie

Postby wcleung on Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:22 pm

I really admire your endurance, whether it be against the heat, or the flies. Debbie
wcleung

Postby X.. on Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:23 pm

Nice run!

The deer flies can get pretty intense in there...BUT its a magical place! ;)
X..

Return to Fergus, Arthur, and Luther