Snowy Owl near Metz - southeast of Arthur

Northern Wellington County Bird Sightings

Moderator: wcleung

Snowy Owl near Metz - southeast of Arthur

Postby SeanGeddes on Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:59 am

The Snowy Owl sited in an earlier report on ONTBIRDS is still in the area northeast of Metz. I saw it at dusk on February 4. Turning north from the Sideroad 25 / Fifth Line intersection, proceed up the road approximately 500 metres and there is a set of barns and farm buildings on the left (west of Fifth Line). I believe this compound was a bullfighting ring at one time. The Snowy was observed perched on top of a wooden facade at the south end of the buildings.

I believe it has also been seen perched on half-buried round bales just a few metres north of Sideroad 25, west of Fifth Line, based on previous reports.

To get to Sideroad 25, you can take Highway 9 east of Highway 6 - Arthur is on Highway 6. Heading east, you will come to County Road 16, which is a major north-south paved road. Turn south on Cty Rd 16 and approximately 2 km down you should encounter Sideroad 25. Turn left on Sideroad 25 and continue east until you reach Fifth Line - it will be the first intersection you come to.

Sean
SeanGeddes

Return to Fergus, Arthur, and Luther