Greater White-fronted Goose at Conestogo Reservoir

Northern Wellington County Bird Sightings

Moderator: wcleung

Greater White-fronted Goose at Conestogo Reservoir

Postby Mike Burrell on Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:54 am

At about 9am this morning I found an adult Greater White-fronted Goose at Conestogo Reservoir. It was observed with a flock of about 400 Canada Geese and 1 adult blue phase Snow Goose from the dam on the north shore beach. There wasn't much else there, but there was a flock of Tree Swallows. A scope is helpful, but you should be able to see the bird with binoculars (assuming it doesn't move further away).

Directions:

From Waterloo head north on Hwy 85 to Elmira. Turn left at Listowel Rd, which turns into Line 86. Follow that west to Dorking and turn north at Wellington Rd 11, and follow that (you will need to make a right then left to stay on it) to the dam. There are a couple parking spots on top of the dam and you can view the goose flock right from there.
Mike Burrell
Heidelberg and Toronto, Ontario
http://individual.utoronto.ca/heidelberg/
Mike Burrell

Re: Greater White-fronted Goose at Conestogo Reservoir

Postby Mike Burrell on Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:33 am

Just a quick update:

Ken went to check it out as soon as I got back, he was there around 10am, but the entire flock was not there (he saw no geese). It is quite possible the flock has gone out to feed and may return to roost. Either way, keep an eye out for geese flocks! As a consolation he had a small flock of American Golden-Plovers fly over.
Mike Burrell
Mike Burrell

Postby mustap on Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:06 pm

Ditto for me at noon; except my consolation prize was 6 white-tailed deer :D Thanks for the report Mike, i will try to check in the morning this weekend.
Peeter Musta - mustap.smugmug.com
mustap
Site Admin

Postby josh on Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:47 am

Thanks for the report, Mike. I'm glad I didn't skip classes to look for it yesterday after as it wasn't relocated. Hopefully it is still in the area and will stay for a few days.
josh

Postby Mike Burrell on Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:36 am

My Dad and I checked it out yesterday around 9:30-10:30, with no rare geese.

When we first got there we saw no geese, so we drove north along the east edge, checking along some of the cottage roads, until at one spot we could hear some geese to the south. So we drove back to where the 4th line dead-ends at the lake (typically one of the best vantage points for ducks). We watched as about 500 geese landed, coming from somewhere in the northwest arm of the lake (not sure if there is anyway to view it). Nothing unusual with them though. We left, going back over the dam and there was then over 1000 geese visible, many too far to ID even with a scope though.

So, the moral is, there are probably a lot more geese than I initially thought (probably a few thousand), and many are often not visible, so you might have to get lucky, but I really think chances are the bird is still there! Here are some other birds we did find:

Common Merganser 1
Green-winged Teal 3
American Wigeon 4
American Black Duck 10
Gadwall 2
Double-crested Cormorant 25
Peregrine Falcon 1
Merlin 1
Baird's Sandpiper 1
Pectoral Sandpiper 2
Killdeer 30
Mike Burrell
Mike Burrell

Postby mustap on Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:06 am

I tried this morning at 9:30 as well. No geese at all at the dam. However, there was a large flock of Canada Geese in the fields if you continue west from the bridge to the "T" intersection. They were set well back in the field, so i took a bunch of shots of the various groups to study on the monitor at home.
Peeter Musta - mustap.smugmug.com
mustap
Site Admin

Return to Fergus, Arthur, and Luther