Guess what was spotted at Luther????????

Northern Wellington County Bird Sightings

Moderator: wcleung

Guess what was spotted at Luther????????

Postby ff151 on Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:30 pm

(I DID NOT WITNESS THIS, I have copied this post from a different bird forum.....)

Yep, Canadian Pelicans. Who'd a thunk it!?

SPOTTED: American White Pelicans

North of Toronto, Ontario

Canada

WHEN; Saturday June 12th, 2009

Late afternoon

Was out hiking and taking pics at the marsh when my husband spotted what he thought was a flock of swans. Seeing as my camera does not have a powerful enough lens he pulled out his binoc's and started watching them, proptly freaked out about what they were and had my look too.

We couldn't believe it but after verifying with the feild book, sure enough, American White Pelicans, about a dozen of them.

I WAS SO THRILLED JUST TO SEE THEM!!!!!!

Just thought anyone in the Toronto area might be interested in knowing!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

This is me speaking again, :D ,Guess a trip to Luther this Wednesday is probably in order...... Mike O, do you have the day off? We could start at Huron's nature park, grab a java and head to Luther? If anyone is interested in a day of birding with me, let me know. I would be happy to drive. I need to be back in Waterloo by about 3:00 pm.

Please PM me if you are interested.

FF (Terry)
ff151

Re: Guess what was spotted at Luther????????

Postby jomo on Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:13 pm

Yargh, too many sightings to follow up on, and not enough time! Sigh. I need a three day work week.
jomo

Postby Peter C. on Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:31 am

jomo wrote:Yargh, too many sightings to follow up on, and not enough time! Sigh. I need a three day work week.

You said it! Wish I could just take off today ... I will have to have a go for those this weekend, but I hear it's going to rain...

Anyway, Terry, where was this posted? I tried looking on "Toronto and Area" sightings, but the board was down. Anyway, good luck with them, if you do go today!

Later,
Peter C.,
Chief &c,
A.H.O.R.B.
Peter C.

Postby ff151 on Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:00 pm

Hey Guys,

I never did go, Mike O and I were going to go but the weather didn't cooperate! Anyhoo, I think it was on www.whatbird.com where I found the posting. I will look for it in a bit.

T.
ff151

Postby jomo on Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:21 pm

There was a posting for this on Ontbirds as well, Peter. Last week some time, don't recall the date.
jomo

Postby mustap on Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:17 am

Peter C. wrote: where was this posted?

Posted to Ontbirds on 6/14 by Anthony Zammit. Available on numerous Ontbirds archives so i did not repost it here.
Peeter Musta - mustap.smugmug.com
mustap
Site Admin

Postby Peter C. on Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:30 pm

mustap wrote:
Peter C. wrote: where was this posted?

Posted to Ontbirds on 6/14 by Anthony Zammit. Available on numerous Ontbirds archives so i did not repost it here.

Thanks.

I saw that ONTBIRDS posting fairly soon after it went up, but thought it odd that there were no more. That's why I'm interested this second poster (who did, indeed, post on Whatbird - didn't even know there was a forum there), as this is the only independent confirmation.

You'd think it would be kind of hard to hide 12 (or 17) huge white birds for any length of time, in Southern Ontario. Could they have left? Where would they be going?(at this time of year.)

On the other hand Luther lake is very big, for an "inland" lake, and the islands make it hard to see the whole thing...

Curiouser and curiouser....
Peter C.,
Chief &c,
A.H.O.R.B.
Peter C.

Return to Fergus, Arthur, and Luther