Elora Herons

Northern Wellington County Bird Sightings

Moderator: wcleung

Elora Herons

Postby jomo on Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:11 pm

Alright, so they're not photos. But I'm an absolute crap photographer, so be thankful. :D

I checked out the Elora heronry this morning. There were five birds hanging around, one of which appeared to be brooding. A Red-tailed Hawk was also hanging out in the trees, calling a lot (and getting the herons a little ruffled). I also spotted a pair of Tundra Swans on the drive up, in a field west of Wellington Rd 7 immediately south of the Ponsonby road sign.

jomo

Re: Elora Herons

Postby Alex Thomson on Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:29 pm

Creative way to do things jomo. Do you do sketches only or paint as well?
I was going to sketch a few myself but mine looked like stick figures with triangle beaks. Good thing I have a camera :)
That red-tailed was there the last time I visited and it was making a heck of a racket. Noisiest red-tailed ever!
-Alex
Alex Thomson

Postby Ruth on Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:25 am

I love your sketches. This is what true naturalists do, and the only way printed records of birds could be made before photography became so easy. You have to be very observant. I wish I had the talent to do this...many artists in my family but the gene skipped me completely. :(
Ruth

Postby jomo on Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:20 pm

Thanks for the comments! Alex, I do paint as well, although I'm not as prolific about it (probably because I spend more time thinking about the painting than I do actually painting it!)
jomo

Postby Peter C. on Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:52 am

Jomo:
Had a brief look at the website. Man, I wish I could do that - any of that. (Drawing, painting, websites, you name it, I am always impressed by good design ability). Particularly like the small "Piping Plover, Sauble Beach" colour sketch.

Oh, and the quotation by Mr. P.K.D.

Now you're got me intrigued by Wordpress, something else to learn about in my copious free time :roll: .

PeterC.
Peter C.,
Chief &c,
A.H.O.R.B.
Peter C.

Return to Fergus, Arthur, and Luther