Bald Eagles Wallenstein

Northern Wellington County Bird Sightings

Moderator: wcleung

Bald Eagles Wallenstein

Postby Ruth on Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:54 pm

I saw 2 adult bald eagles in a farmer's field easily visible from the road at the first farm on the left when you take the Hwy 86 Elmira bypass toward Waterloo. This OOM farm is always good for interesting birds. The farmer seems to throw dead animals/parts in the field near the road. Always a good spot for Turkey Vultures in the summer. I was sure I saw eagles and did a U turn to check. Saw 2 RT Hawks in nearby trees and two Snowy Owls also found in on the other side of Wallenstein.
Ruth

Re: Bald Eagles Wallenstein

Postby Malcolm on Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:28 pm

Great tip Ruth, thanks ... too bad the forecast is for heavy snow tomorrow, damn.
Malcolm

Postby Alex Thomson on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:25 pm

Ruth would that be right on 86 between Elmira and Waterloo?

Malcolm wrote:Great tip Ruth, thanks ... too bad the forecast is for heavy snow tomorrow, damn.

Yeah Malcolm...like you need another eagle :)
-Alex
Alex Thomson

Postby Malcolm on Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:08 pm

Alex Thomson wrote:Ruth would that be right on 86 between Elmira and Waterloo?

Malcolm wrote:Great tip Ruth, thanks ... too bad the forecast is for heavy snow tomorrow, damn.

Yeah Malcolm...like you need another eagle :)

I think she means Listowel Road i.e turn left from #85 onto the bypass (Listowel Road) on the way to Wallenstien. There's a restaurant on the corner or there used to be. I think that's it ... maybe. :D

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Elmir ... 2:0:::::/e
Malcolm

Postby Ruth on Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:19 pm

Sorry, I am no longer getting email notifications of posts on this site. My cookies have crumbled and I cannot fix them.
Go north from Waterloo toward Elmira and turn left at Crossroads Restaurant to go to Listowel ( what I called the hwy 86 Elmira bypass) Continue toward the spot where the road turns left and merges with 86 out of Elmira. The last farm on the right before this merge is the one I was talking about. There is a big field and several buildings and the ground is worked up. The shoulders are wide here for stopping but the distance is still quite far for pictures with my p&s camera.
Ruth

Postby Malcolm on Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:53 am

Thanks Ruth, that nails the location perfectly. :D Now all I need is a decent weather day to make the run up.
Malcolm

Return to Fergus, Arthur, and Luther