Re Sharp birds

For talk about Digital SLR's and their use in Wildlife photography

Moderator: wcleung

Re Sharp birds

Postby photorovr on Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:08 pm

Question:

For tack sharp in flight birds: Do you always use mirror lock up?

For birds on a stick: Hang the bean bag over the lens?

Just curious as to what others do.

Joyce :lol:
In Nature We See Beauty
photorovr

Re: Re Sharp birds

Postby Alex Thomson on Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:34 pm

photorovr wrote:Question:

For tack sharp in flight birds: Do you always use mirror lock up?

For birds on a stick: Hang the bean bag over the lens?

Just curious as to what others do.

Joyce :lol:

I just aim and shoot fast and hope for a good one :)
-Alex
Alex Thomson

Postby Mike O on Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:59 pm

To be truthful Joyce the best way for me to get sharp photos is to take lots (forget about wear and tear on the equiptment, there making more gear as I type this, even Nikon). Then after you've taken lots look at them close and decide which are sharpest and try to remember how you did it (or look at your info, with Canon I can do this in Digital Photo Pro with a right click of the mouse). After you have decided which ones you can live with, enjoy them. Then my best advice would be to lower your standards and enjoy the other ones to. :D For me with my cheap lens I am using higher ISO so I can use higher shutter speeds 1000 or higher and thats for bird on a stick shots. I am almost always shooting handheld but would surely see better results with a tripod if it was possible to get time to set up. T :D he tripod for me only makes sense for some kind of stationary shooting like at lakeside or from a blind. As for needing tack sharp, I think thats over-rated Its more fun to have the wildlife experience and have a poor photo than to miss the experience worrying about sharpness. Just enjoy nature and if sharpness happens we will applaud you for it.
Don't be shy about posting a less than perfect shot, just call them ID shots it works for me
Mike O

Postby Kevin S on Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:40 pm

I'm real new to photography. Any chance you could explain 'mirror lock up' and 'hang the bean bag over the lens'?
Also, how important is a tripod or monopod for picture sharpness? Is there a shutter speed where anything over that speed a tripod won't make much of a difference.
Thanks, I've enjoyed the thread so far!

Kevin S
Kevin S

Postby jbrierley on Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:42 pm

Kevin, mirror lock-up locks the mirror in the "up" (ready to shoot position) before the shot is taken. The big drawback is that while the mirror is locked up, you can't see through the viewfinder. Advantages? For normal shooting there really aren't any that I can see. Todays DSLR's have such a minimal shutter lag that it really doesn't help the shooting time.

I'd never use mirror lockup on anything except a landscape at a slow shutter speed, Joyce, or for nighttime photography. The only reason you might need it is to avoid camera shake from mirror slap at a very low shutter speed.

I'm not the best at flight shots (Ray has that distinction, I think), but IMHO you basically need lots of shutter speed (> 1/1000th normally), the ability to track smoothly (and keep the focus sensor on the eye), a camera with good AF tracking capabilities (using AI servo mode) and if you're got IS on the lens, the right IS mode (mode 2, normally).

For a bean bag over the lens, you can do that to add mass to the lens, but placing your hand on it and applying light pressure works just as well and has the advantage of always being attached (no extra gear to lug!). I only use a bean bag when shooting from the car to rest the lens on the door and that's more to avoid scratching the lens.
jbrierley
Site Admin

Postby photorovr on Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:36 am

Thanks for all of your replies. Maybe old age is creeping in faster than I like! :cry:

I have never used mirror lock up unless already prefocused for the very reason that you have mentioned, Karl. The bean bag? I have also just used on my car door or on the sun roof. Several people had mentioned these to me lately so I thought that I would see what the birder experts here thought.

I also probably should be using my whimberly instead of the arca ball head. I envy you guys that can hand hold! I am fine with the 70-200 or the 80-400, but anything beyond that, I just can't hold up. :(

Welcome to the forum, Kevin. There is a wealth of knowledge here. Everyone is so helpful and supportive. You will love it!

Thanks
Joyce
In Nature We See Beauty
photorovr

Postby jbrierley on Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:03 am

Jon, not Karl, Joyce.
jbrierley
Site Admin

Postby photorovr on Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:10 am

Sorry,

Yup, told you that old age was creeping up all too fast!
J :?
In Nature We See Beauty
photorovr

Return to Digital SLR Photography