Dog-leash free Grand River plan meeting Nov 08

Post your local nature-related workshop or event information here

Dog-leash free Grand River plan meeting Nov 08

Postby wcleung on Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:50 pm

"The Grand River Conservation Authority is holding a public information session on Monday, November 9, 2015, from 4:00 to 7:00 p.m. at the Bloomingdale Community Centre, 1031 Snyder's Flats Road, Bloomingdale, to present details of the Snyder's Flats Management Plan."

"Information will also be presented at the meeting regarding the GRCA's consideration of the Snyder's Flats property as an off-leash dog area. In August, 2014, the GRCA began the process of conducting extensive research into the design and operation of off-leash dog areas in response to a request received from the public to consider designating Snyder's Flats as an off-leash dog area."

"Based on this research, we have been developing set of criteria to help us assess the ecological and operational suitability of any GRCA property, not only Snyder's Flats, as an off-leash dog area," explains Dave Bennett, Director of Operations, GRCA.

Sounding ominous. I hope some of you can attend to present some more bird-friendly public requests.

Detail here: http://www.grandriver.ca/Newsroom/News.cfm?id=854

Cheers, Debbie
wcleung

Re: Dog-leash free Grand River plan meeting Nov 08

Postby Peter C. on Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:46 am

Holy f***, Batman!

Now there's a smart idea -set aside a large patch of rehabilitated floodplain for wildlife, including areas specifically intended "to provide a home for birds and animals that live and nest in meadows and grasslands, including threatened species such as bobolinks and meadowlarks" (to quote the report) - and then unleash a whole heard of random subsidized predators all over it, because, as we know, it's very important to keep those bobolink and meadowlark populations in check.
{/sarcastic rant]

I wonder if WRN executive know anything about this plan - they'll certainly be hearing from me about it.
Peter C.,
Chief &c,
A.H.O.R.B.
Peter C.

Postby ktupman on Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:03 am

The GRCA decided that Snyder's Flats is NOT an appropriate location for a leash-free dog park.
ktupman

Postby Alex Thomson on Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:00 pm

....and yet the majority of the dogs will still be off-leash
-Alex
Alex Thomson

Postby wcleung on Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:08 pm

That is great news. At least, I restore some trust for the conservation authoriy.

Despite the decision (which will be finalized in Dec 18), the fact the suggestion has gotten so far worries me. The news report http://www.therecord.com/news-story/6108890-snyder-s-flats-not-suited-for-leash-free-park-conservation-authority/ also indicates a larger problem -- how some people disregard conservation (or other people's welfare) in stating how they'd still run their dogs free. Some 300 people have signed their petition to have the leash-free park.

If you can spare a little time, send in some feedback to http://www.grandriver.ca BEFORE NOV 30 to help the conservation authority present the case. Here's a direct link to the feedback form: http://www.grandriver.ca/index/document.cfm?Sec=92&Sub1=7. It is also a good occasion to mention the unsatisfactory situation Alex described, despite the recent move in partial "enforcement". It will help the authority to adjust the proper enforcement level and provide background information for similar conflict in the future! I will send one providing a link to our earlier discussion on the forum the situation on Synder's Flat.

Peter: it will still be worth mentioning the incidence to WRN, which seems to have gone under the radar.

Cheers, Debbie
wcleung

Postby Peter C. on Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:31 am

I just read a few comments on the Record site under the story (ALWAYS a mistake; all the talk about "responsible dog owners" being targeted and oppressed reminds me of the U.S. and "responsible gun owners".

Sure, there are a lot of "responsible dog owners" out there, but it only takes one irresponsible one to cause a tragedy.
Peter C.,
Chief &c,
A.H.O.R.B.
Peter C.

Return to Local Workshops and Events