Varied Thrush issue - Kitchener

Forum for general chit-chat, general information, and stuff that doesn't fit elsewhere

Moderator: wcleung

Varied Thrush issue - Kitchener

Postby BirderGuelph1 on Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:47 pm

I thought this was worth sharing. Similar problems to this have been coming up recently (Painted Bunting and Harris's Sparrow) and have been reported to ONTBIRDS as well.

http://ontbirds.ca/pipermail/birdalert_ ... 76787.html
BirderGuelph1

Re: Varied Thrush issue - Kitchener

Postby Peter C. on Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:20 pm

This IS very sad ...

I had read Ken's post already, but I'm glad you brought it up here; do you know what actually happened? I haven't a clue, I never went near the area ... did people track the bird to some particular yard, and start trespassing?

Whatever it was, I completely don't get it - how is it that some people's right to "get in close" (or whatever) completely trumps civility? (um... that was a rhetorical question, in case you were wondering... :? ). The completely unwarranted, selfish, self-centered sense of entitlement these people show really gets me steamed - although, not nearly as much as it does the property owners, of course!

And, as a side-effect, this behaviour just happens to ruin things for the rest of us as well. Part of the reason I gave up twitching, years ago....
Peter C.

(One small anecdote on from my own experience: Years ago, when I was living down in the Doon area, a lady who lived in a house down there contacted me. It was around Christmas Bird Count time, and she a very unusual bird coming to a backyard feeder - she was pretty sure it was a young Summer Tanager. She invited me over to confirm it, and I waited around, outside her back yard, for two successive mornings - to no avail. But later she got some reasonable photos, and sent them to me and another birder in Ottawa for confirmation - we both agreed with her ID. The bird was also seen "live" on-site by an independent observer, and made it on to our CBC list (the second one in the history of the Kitchener count - which I believe is a Canadian record, interestingly enough).

Anyway, the Ottawa guy emailed her back, asking when she was going to post it to ONTBIRDS; he seemed to think this was just a matter of course. When she told me about this, I had to say, effectively, "wouldn't do that, if I were you." I've seen too many situations like that go badly awry... )
Peter C.

Postby BirderGuelph1 on Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:43 pm

I'm not sure about what exactly happened. I was originally thinking about going to look for the bird this week sometime but I guess I won't be able to now.

As far as I know the bird has been seen in the same yard for weeks now, visiting a feeder and hanging out in spruce trees on their property. Their backyard can be seen from Stanley Park, but by the sound of it I guess people must have been wandering onto their property for better looks or photos. Maybe someone else reading this knows more about it.
BirderGuelph1

Postby Mike O on Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:09 pm

I was also going to stop in to try my luck this week, but due to the trouble have reconsidered. :x
Mike O

Postby fred.urie on Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:21 pm

I saw the Varied Thrush. It was coming to a yard with a fence around it, and it would hide in the evergreens along one side.

The people probably got tired of having birders at their back fence.
fred.urie

Return to General Wildlife Talk