Discussion of locations for vulnerable birds

Forum for general chit-chat, general information, and stuff that doesn't fit elsewhere

Moderator: wcleung

Discussion of locations for vulnerable birds

Postby wcleung on Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:27 pm

Hi, I wonder if there is a general consensus how to share sighting information without distressing the birds. That seems a concern for the wintering owls (especially those near roads), nests in spring, particularly endangered species, and migrants who may be exhausted. In this forum, I guess many have tried to a bit vague in the public post, and provide more information if any one ask through private messages. I wonder how is that done in ebird or ontbirds? Cheers, Debbie
wcleung

Re: Discussion of locations for vulnerable birds

Postby BirderGuelph1 on Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:45 am

On Ebird, as soon as a sighting is submitted as 'rare' it can be viewed under 'alerts' by anyone in the world. I guess it's up to the person reporting the bird to decide whether it's a smart idea to report the bird right away while it's in its vulnerable location. In the case of an extremely vulnerable nesting bird, like an endangered species, I suppose it might be best in some situations to submit an official report after the bird has moved on? In cases like the Great Gray Owl in Durham county recently, it appears the owl is unphased by onlookers and photographers. Perhaps it depends on each individual situation as to whether it's appropriate to share locations.

Curtis
BirderGuelph1

Return to General Wildlife Talk