Help rebuild our local bird clinic

Forum for general chit-chat, general information, and stuff that doesn't fit elsewhere

Moderator: wcleung

Help rebuild our local bird clinic

Postby Kingfisher1 on Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:29 pm

Hi everyone,

I am sure many of you are familiar with the work of s.o.a.r. (songbirds only avian rehabilitation). For those of you who are not let me preface this message by explaining that s.o.a.r. is a wildlife rehabilitation center specializing in songbirds located in Rockwood, Ontario. S.o.a.r. cares for anything passerine - from kingfishers to barn swallows. I can not sufficiently express how hard working Judi Drake and her volunteers are. They work tirelessly to care for our songbirds - be it feeding a nestling every 15 minutes, setting a fracture or simply the daily toil that comes with feeding and cleaning 10 to 30 patients. All of this work is done in a clinic which has stood since the 1920's without any significant renovations. As you can imagine it is badly in need of modernizing as well as basic repairs.
The reason I am posting here is that this year s.o.a.r. has entered into the Aviva community fund - a grant competition based on the premise that public votes rather than a committee determine the outcome. If you are interested in supporting this project please lend us your support by voting for us. If you return to vote each day the clinic will have a good chance of winning the competition, the more votes we have the better as the top ten finalists are all rewarded.

To learn more & vote go to:
http://www.avivacommunityfund.org/ideas/acf17055

Thank you!
LK
Kingfisher1

Re: Help rebuild our local bird clinic

Postby kellie on Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:10 pm

Hello all,

I just wanted to remind folks to keep voting for S.O.A.R.! Thanks to LK for the original posting. I wanted to add that S.O.A.R. also helps out the Fatal Light Awareness Program based out of Toronto (more info on F.L.A.P. posted here). As an example of the work that S.O.A.R. does, within the past week, they took in an Eastern Whip-poor-will that will need to overwinter under their care.

Voting is a simple way to support S.O.A.R. There are so many organizations out there that deserve financial support, but no one person could possibly help them all. Voting costs only a few minutes of time to sign-up on Aviva's website and less than 30 seconds each day to vote daily until the end of the competition (November 4). S.O.A.R. already made it past one round, let's help them get through round 2!

VOTE HERE!

For more information, you can 'like' S.O.A.R.'s page on Facebook. They are updating as much as possible to remind folks to vote daily. F.L.A.P. also has a page on Facebook for those interested.

Thanks for reading.
Kellie
kellie

Re: Help rebuild our local bird clinic

Postby Lori.P on Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:08 pm

Thanks for the reminder! Frank and I will vote every day to help support this organization.
Lori Portela
I never walk softly, and Frank always carries the big lens

http://public.fotki.com/Clanky/birds/
Lori.P

Return to General Wildlife Talk