Currie Tract devastation

Forum for general chit-chat, general information, and stuff that doesn't fit elsewhere

Moderator: wcleung

Currie Tract devastation

Postby BirderGuelph1 on Sat May 04, 2013 5:00 am

Hi everyone,

Anyone been to Currie Tract yet this year? I went yesterday and the hydro company has cut down a huge area. I used to go birding along the hydro line area in the sumac stands but the sumacs are almost all cut down. All the thick, low vegetation I used to spot warblers, catbirds, etc in are gone too. It looks like they doubled the width of the cut and I didn't even recognize it anymore. I'm sure a lot of nesting birds will have to go elsewhere.

Curtis
BirderGuelph1

Re: Currie Tract devastation

Postby fred.urie on Sat May 04, 2013 5:12 pm

Same thing at the hydro corridor at 6 West, Flamborough where the Prairie Warbler nests.

There's a couple of Grasshopper Sparrows singing along the edge, but I don't know what's going to happen to the other species.

Golden-winged Warbler was found last year at the Currie tract, and I think it likes early successional growth.
fred.urie

Postby fred.urie on Sat May 04, 2013 5:20 pm

fred.urie

Postby BirderGuelph1 on Sat May 04, 2013 6:02 pm

I didn't see or hear any warblers along the cut. I walked the length I usually walk including the parts of the old trail that remain. The Towhees were back in the same spot as last year which was nice. Two were singing along the edge and another was in the last remaining sumacs. (A little depressing but at least they came back!)

On a brighter note, I explored the forest a bit more. I found a pair of Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, as well as a few Yellow-rumped Warblers. I'll probably go back in a couple weeks to see what else comes back.
BirderGuelph1

Postby jomo on Sat May 04, 2013 11:10 pm

That's awful! Currie is one of the few really good migrant hotspots around here, and I was planning on hitting it for warblers next weekend. Depressing to lose the sumacs.
jomo

Postby BirderGuelph1 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:50 am

Hi everyone!

This morning I went to Currie for a couple hours. The birding was really good. The area along the hydro cut on the right where it opens up to the field was especially active.

The surprise highlight was a Wild Turkey that appeared in front of me along the main trail and proceeded to lose its mind. It ran back and forth in front of me as I pretty much stood in shock. I noticed some other rustling and then I saw the chicks. They were a little bigger than my fist, and appeared to be in panic mode. One was trying to hide under a log right in front of me but left its butt sticking out, and the other two went hobbling off in opposite directions. The mother was clearly upset with me so I just decided to move along so they could do the same. On my way back out they were gone.

Other highlights were Mourning and Blue-winged Warbler. I heard that Mournings nest there and I assume the Blue-wingeds do as well. I also heard Indigo Buntings nest there and today I counted four. Here's a full list:

http://ebird.org/ebird/canada/view/chec ... =S14333380
BirderGuelph1

Return to General Wildlife Talk