West Perth Wetlands and Lakeside Park

Forum for general chit-chat, general information, and stuff that doesn't fit elsewhere

Moderator: wcleung

West Perth Wetlands and Lakeside Park

Postby Malcolm on Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:39 pm

Just curious if anyone has been to either the West Perth Wetlands (Mitchell) or Lakeside Park (Kitchener) recently and if there was any activity? With the weather sort of warming up these two spots could be worth the drive.
Malcolm

Re: West Perth Wetlands and Lakeside Park

Postby steve lindsay2010 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:49 pm

I was at Lakeside in Kitchener yesterday and the lake was still frozen over with no activity other than a few Canadian Geese.
steve lindsay2010

Postby Malcolm on Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:02 pm

Thanks Steve, hopefully the weather next week will see that change.
Malcolm

Postby jeff on Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:03 am

I stopped by Lakeside yesterday (Sunday) morning for an hour. The lake is still mostly frozen but a lot of birds are now arriving. There were a few Canada Geese and Mallards, as is to be expected, along with some Gull flyovers. There was a Great Blue Heron as well. Tons of Red-winged Blackbirds, Eastern Phoebe, and Goldfinches. There were a few Hermit Thrushes and Robins. Also Song and House Sparrows. I saw one Golden-crowned Kinglet, Common Wren, and Common Redpoll. Then of course the year-round residents: Cardinals, Chickadees, Bluejays, Downy and Hairy Woodpeckers.

I didn't make it to the wooded eastern side. If you go, prepare to get muddy :)
jeff

Postby Malcolm on Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:14 am

Thanks Jeff .. I took a drive up to Acton yesterday and the ponds were still frozen there as well .. come on Spring. Hopefully this week sees the last of the ice. Lakeside has been fairly decent in past year for Pied Billed Grebes and there's always a possibility of a Horned Grebe.
Malcolm

Postby Gail on Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:17 pm

I stopped by West Perth on Sunday on the way back from St. Marys (backroads way home). When I got there it was cold and very windy so didn't stay long and just quickly checked out the first pond. The water level was lowish and there weren't a lot of birds. What was there was difficult to see as they were in the middle and sparse. The windy weather probably didn't help. I'll try and go by again on a better day and see what's there.
Gail

Postby Malcolm on Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:41 pm

Thanks Gail ... Mitchell was sure a long way out of your way. GRIPS has been doing some interesting road trips based on the shots I see on Flickr. The low water level will probably get a bit deeper with the rain that's in the forecast for the next week but hopefully not so deep as to discourage the waders. We just don't seem to have a lot of good shore bird habitat within a decent driving distance so I'm hoping that Mitchell will be good this year. Actually at this point I just want it too warm up so I can do something without wearing a big coat .. Lakeside usually gets some good Spring activity but it needs to melt.
Malcolm

Postby Gail on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:44 pm

Not so bad compared to everywhere else. Luther Marsh is closer now, but there isn't really a good place that's close for a quick visit. All are major trips and hard on the gas bill. Here, goldfinches, which were noticeably absent this winter, probably due to the huge numbers of redpolls hogging all the food, are just returning, although there are still a number of redpolls around.
Gail

Postby Malcolm on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:44 am

Ya the gas bill can be a real pain, I don't do as much blind driving around any more, I tend to have a specific destination planned .. so no plan equals no driving. I'm not sure if that means I'm wasting less gas just driving around or I plan more and drive the same amount.

Well besides Luther Marsh you have the Woolwich Reservoir and Conestogo Lake that are maybe a bit closer. A bit further a field would be Belwood Lake, Guelph Lakes and Mitchell, all of which you know. But if you head west towards Goderich you have the Morris Tract Provincial Nature Reserve, the Saragota Swamp, Point Farms Provincial Park and Goderich itself which has some interesting architecture (or used to, I haven't been there in years). There is also a place called the Hullett Provincial Wildlife Area over near Clinton that has always been on my to do list for a couple of years but I just never seem to get around to it. I'm fairly certain most of these spots are within an hours drive for you but like you said it's still a bunch of driving.
Malcolm

Return to General Wildlife Talk