Goose Tags

Forum for general chit-chat, general information, and stuff that doesn't fit elsewhere

Moderator: wcleung

Goose Tags

Postby BirderGuelph1 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:58 am

Hi everyone!

I've been out hiking along the Speed River in west Guelph lately and there is a Canada Goose with a bright orange neck tag. I've seen the small metal ones around their legs before and they don't stand out quite as much. Maybe the geese don't notice them at all but are pretty big. I was just wondering if anyone knows which tags are in current use around here or if anyone knows anything at all about these neck tags. Thanks so much! I also saw a coyote this morning along the Speed River and it stopped and checked me out a little and I was sort of forced to do the same. For peace of mind I was glad that fence was between us!

Curtis
BirderGuelph1

Re: Goose Tags

Postby Alex Thomson on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:03 am

I have no idea why they need to neck band Canada Goose.
I stumbled across this. Don't know if it would help you find any info on the banding.
http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/BBL/bblretrv/#Introduction
-Alex
Alex Thomson

Postby kellie on Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:41 pm

Hi Curtis,

There are some folks in Toronto doing a regional study on 'urban' Canada Goose movements. The reason they use neck tags are because, as you have witnessed, they are large, noticeable, easily readable, and will hopefully encourage the public to report sightings of these individuals. I can't seem to find the info for this, but when I do, I'll post it here.

Cheers,
Kellie
kellie

Postby Peter C. on Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:19 pm

Curtis:

I've seen a few of those neck bands, usually during Christmas bird counts, when we see big congregations of Canadas on the Grand River.

When possible, it's a good idea to read the tag, and report the number/letter combination to US Geographical Survey (USGS). This office works along with Canadian (and other countries') banding groups to track all banded birds in the western hemisphere. If you report an "encounter" like this, they'll even send you a form in the mail, with details of the the original banding situation. A couple of my "encounters," for example, were banded way up on James Bay - one of them, six years prior to my seeing it! So, the certainly do seem to manage all right with those bands on (six years old is actually not a bad age for a goose).

The USGS website for reporting bands (of all kinds) is http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/BBL/bblretrv/.

One thing that I seem to recall, is that the colour of the neck band is significant - I believe orange refers to some particular geographic region, although I cannot remember specifically where, at the moment.

Peter.
Peter C.

Postby MikeV on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:12 pm

I was told that during the winter, ice can become impacted under the plastic collars and cause the geese to choke to death.
Shooting with some Canon Stuff
MikeV

Postby BirderGuelph1 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:08 am

Thanks for the help everyone. I had taken a photo of the bird/neck collar so I used it to report the bird. I'll post again when I find out information about the bird. Pretty interesting stuff!

I was trying not to be negative about the choking possibility of the collar. After seeing the bird it's obvious this could easily be an issue. After reading their website I feel the banding system as a whole is a positive thing. Considering the human impact on wildlife that exists, I think it's important there's some action as opposed to none. That's my opinion anyways. Thanks again everyone. This forum is always very helpful.

Curtis
BirderGuelph1

Postby bobermay on Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:53 pm

I saw a Canada Goose with a neck field readable at the Boat House in Guelph last year!

It read Y3J1, and was White lettering on an Orange neck band

I found out he was male, banded August 1st 2002, as an adult. It was banded at Akimiski Island, James Bay, Nunavut (COORDINATES: LAT: 53.08333; LON: -80.91667 ) by Ken Abraham.

If your band is White on Orange, it is probably from the same island.

I know that there is concern about this method of banding, but it does give us valuable data that other banding methods may not be able to do! I mean, this bird I found last winter was over 10 years old!
Visit http://brennanobermayer.blogspot.ca to see updated pictures of my wildlife experiences :)
bobermay

Postby BirderGuelph1 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:15 pm

It's the same bird. Wow, I guess it's 11 now. That's pretty old! Thanks for the info.
BirderGuelph1

Postby BirderGuelph1 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:56 am

I got sent the info and it said it hatched in 2001 or earlier so I'd say it's at least 12!
BirderGuelph1

Postby naturescaretaker on Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:29 am

Thanks for the information on the bird banding sight I just sent in a report of a Canada goose on the Eramosa river in Guelph with a orange wide neck band but couldn't read the 4th letter on the top of the band because of the overhanging neck feathers but sent them a picture of the goose..Happy shooting everybody.
Attachments
Goose Y4J.2.jpg
Goose Y4J.2.jpg (54.67 KiB) Viewed 2003 times
naturescaretaker

Postby naturescaretaker on Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:37 am

Have now found out the letter in the 4 digits is Y3J1 the same goose that other people have seen and is over 12yrs old..got the information back from the site that was posted on here..thanks
naturescaretaker

Postby BirderGuelph1 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:43 pm

I saw this goose again today at the Correctional Ponds in Guelph. It was nice to see the old guy still kicking, er..swimming.
BirderGuelph1

Return to General Wildlife Talk