Wet lands drying off Millers Lake...

Forum for general chit-chat, general information, and stuff that doesn't fit elsewhere

Moderator: wcleung

Wet lands drying off Millers Lake...

Postby Quentin on Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:48 pm

Does anyone know what is taking place with the wet land area off Millers Lake (across the road from Bannister Lake)? I have been driving the back roads (Wrigley Road/Spragues Road etc.) for years to (Grass Lake) Glen Morris/Brantford/Paris; I have never seen these wet lands drained dry before. Is this intentional (for perhaps local development), or just because of a dry summer? With all the autumn rain & the apparent non affected lakes & ponds surrounding the area.. I am just a tad curious. And speaking of Grass Lake.. this morning 3 Sand Hill Cranes in the fields just off of Brant Waterloo/Shouldice Roads; also spotted a rafter of wild turkeys & a really nice flyby by a mature Bald Eagle.
Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience.
Quentin

Re: Wet lands drying off Millers Lake...

Postby kellie on Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:00 pm

Hi Quentin,

My guess is that it has to do with aggregate development in the area. There are a few new pits; plus, existing pits may harvest various materials in stages, which can affect the surrounding hydrology. Another thing is that it might be a combo of factors--a dry winter, spring, and summer, combined with aggregate activities may have affected the water recharge rate of shallow subsurface layers, and consequently, the rate at which the wetlands have recovered. I don't know for sure if this is true, but this is my conjecture.

I noticed that a new pit was being developed RIGHT beside Drynan Tract the last time I was there (within the last year). I'm sure there are a few more smaller operations popping up in the North Dumfries township.

Kellie
kellie

Return to General Wildlife Talk