Bird Rehab/Rescue Facilities

Forum for general chit-chat, general information, and stuff that doesn't fit elsewhere

Moderator: wcleung

Bird Rehab/Rescue Facilities

Postby Alex Thomson on Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:31 pm

A friend of mine rescued a Great Blue Heron with a broken leg today in Dunnville and had to call a hundred places to find anyone in Southern Ontario who was willing to take if for potential rehab. Many were willing to euthanize it but none would even consider rehabbing it.
Throughout the years many users of this board have posted trying to find somewhere to take an injured bird they had found and it got me wondering if anyone had ever put together a list of the places that would treat these birds.
-Alex
Alex Thomson

Re: Bird Rehab/Rescue Facilities

Postby harrier on Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:31 pm

I believe the Preston Veterinary Hospital on King Street in Cambridge treats our feathered friends, but someone might have to confirm that. I've often worried about where I would go if I needed to take a badly injured bird somewhere.
harrier

Postby Karen on Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:58 am

Hi Alex,
I have worked with a wildlife rehabilitationist that lives in Waterloo. I am not sure that she is willing to have her contact info posted here but will forward that to you. She also deals with one of the local
Waterloo Vet clinics that helps out as well with reduced fees etc for wildlife and I used them last year for an ailing mallard we had in our yard. She may also know of trained people in other areas that would be willing to help out. Does Mountsberg not help out with rehabing birds...or maybe it is only raptors...but I am sure you would have thought of that...will email...
Karen

Postby kellie on Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:04 am

Hi Alex,

Thank you for starting this thread! I think it would behoove all of us who love birds and wildlife to have the name and number of a local rehabber in our phones at all times.

That being said, the rehabber that (I think) Karen is referring to (Joy) is actually on the Internet already. Here's her info:

Wildlife Haven, Joy Huggins: 519-590-3676 (cell); 519-747-3626 (home)
547 Teakwood Drive, Waterloo, Ontario
RehabiIitates wiId birds and mammaIs. Orphaned or injured. Specializes in Crows and Ravens.

There's also another woman in the Eastbridge area of Waterloo who will take in injured birds. Here's her info:

Darlene Kalbfeish: 519-888-0154
Barwick Crescent, Waterloo, Ontario
Takes songbirds only.

Both of these listings can be found on the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources' list of Certified Wildlife Rehabilitators.

The vets in Waterloo that specialize in avian medicine (this is important, as not all regular vets know how to treat birds) are as follows:

Lincoln Village Animal Hospital
Tel: 519-746-7557
370 University Avenue East, Waterloo, Ontario

Waterloo West Animal Hospital
Tel: 519-747-2020
414 Erb Street West, Waterloo, Ontario
--although, I know this office has recently undergone a management change, so I'm unsure if they still practice avian medicine. The last time I contacted them was over two years ago.

I know this has been a very Waterloo-centric post, so I would encourage those of you who don't live in Waterloo to take a look at the OMNR's list of Certified Wildlife Rehabilitators and find one that's close to you to have programmed into your cell phone. You can also try the Ontario Wildlife Rescue's website.

Another note to all is that when you're bringing an injured bird or animal to a rehabber, especially if it's one of the smaller ones, please bring a donation along with you. It can cost a lot of money to rehab. Depending on the severity of the injury, $50-$100 is reasonable, and more is always appreciated. The larger operations usually have charity status, so you may be able to receive a tax receipt.

A couple others of note:

Near Guelph, Ontario:
S.O.A.R (Songbirds Only Avian Rehabilitation)
Tel: 519-856-4510

145 Inkerman Street, Rockwood, Ontario
Takes songbirds only.

Near London, Ontario:
Salthaven Wildlife Rehabilitation and Education Centre
Tel: 519-264-2440

Mount Brydges, Ontario
Takes all wildlife.

Near London, Ontario:
Swift Care Ontario
Tel: 519-854-6282 or 519-434-0763

Komoka, Ontario
Specializes in Chimney Swifts, Whip-poor-wills, and Common Nighthawks. Takes only animals included in the OMNR's Species at Risk in Ontario List or COSEWIC List.

Toronto, Ontario:
Toronto Wildlife Centre
Tel: 416-631-0662

60 Carl Hall Road, Toronto, Ontario
Takes all wildlife. However, I understand that their facility is being torn down, so I'm not sure what their status will be in the future.

Finally, information on whether you should attempt to rescue.

Salthaven
KW Humane Society
Wild Birds Unlimited Guelph

Thanks again, Alex, for starting this thread.
Kellie
Last edited by kellie on Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
kellie

Re: Mountsberg

Postby kellie on Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:07 am

One more note: Mountsberg no longer does any rescue of injured raptors. I think they will refer anyone with a raptor to the Toronto Wildlife Centre.

Kellie
kellie

Postby Alex Thomson on Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:41 pm

kellie wrote: Mountsberg no longer does any rescue of injured raptors.

Does not "rescue" them or will not accept them if you bring one in?

Thanks all for the info.
My friend was in Dunnville and after an hour or so on the phone (with an injured heron in his backseat) finally got Salthaven to agree to look at it. Fortunately on his way there he found out Wayward Paws in Ingersoll would also take it. Much less of a drive for him.
-Alex
Alex Thomson

Postby kellie on Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:20 pm

Hi again,

Sorry for the semantics. This is what's posted on their website:

"Mountsberg Conservation Area, including the Mountsberg Raptor Centre, is a permanent residence for non-releasable birds of prey. It, however, is not a licenced wildlife rehabilitation centre. Please do not bring injured or orphaned wildlife to Mountsberg Conservation Area."

They have some links to other organizations that accept raptors.

Hope this helps!
Kellie
kellie

Return to General Wildlife Talk