Wanted: summer list

Forum for general chit-chat, general information, and stuff that doesn't fit elsewhere

Moderator: wcleung

Wanted: summer list

Postby kellie on Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:21 pm

Hello,

Hope everyone is having a nice start to summer, although with weather like this.. let's just say hopefully the whole weekend isn't lost.

I have a few birds I would love to see this summer, so I was hoping some of you might help out. I am trying to see them within Waterloo Region, but other places reasonably close by (an hour's drive from Waterloo, say) are also welcome! These aren't crazy rare, so I'm hoping that you fine people can help me out. :D

Alright, here's my list (I bolded the ones I really, really want to see!):
-northern shoveler
-black-crowned night heron
-peregrine falcon
-American kestrel
-merlin
-common moorhen
-red-headed woodpecker
-pileated woodpecker
-purple martin
-eastern bluebird
-northern mockingbird
-eastern towhee
-scarlet tanager

Thanks for any help you can provide. Happy summer!
Kellie
kellie

Re: Wanted: summer list

Postby Peter C. on Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:35 pm

Et voila!
Peter C.,
Chief &c,
A.H.O.R.B.
Peter C.

Postby mustap on Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:49 pm

Here are a couple of spots that i would visit to try for these species....although summer is perhaps not ideal for all of them.

northern shoveler - Laurentian Wetland (off David Bergey Dr.) is an annual spot for them during fall migration.
Black-crowned night heron - seen annually at Laurentian Wetland, and Lakeside Park....Burlington (off Eastport Drive) would be a sure bet though (and less than 45min drive).
peregrine falcon - Burlington Lift Bridge would be a guaranteed spot (and right beside the Night Heron Spot)
American kestrel - a drive along most any rural road in the winter will get you one of these.
common moorhen - Wrigley Lake and Grass Lake area seem to be regular locations for them.
red-headed woodpecker - Rondeau is guaranteed, but out of range. Perhaps the folks who shot them recently can share the location. South of New Hamburg they are usually found annually.
pileated woodpecker - Huron Woods is a good spot. Sudden Tract is another.
purple martin - Snyder Flats is a pretty good spot for them.
eastern bluebird - roads around grass lake area often have them. Also concession 6 & 8 in Flamborough.
northern mockingbird - don't know any local spots. I always tend to see them along the lakeshore in burlington. I would say Col. Sam Smith is the place i would most expect to find one (pretty much every visit in my experience).
-eastern towhee - guaranteed bird at Currie Tract (i'll bet a shiny dime!), also along concession 8 in flamborough but much harder to find.
-scarlet tanager - Backus Woods is good for them (i see them almost every visit there, but that is perhaps 1.5hr drive?). I have seen them at sudden tract as well but not as consistently.
Peeter Musta - mustap.smugmug.com
mustap
Site Admin

Postby Reibs on Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:45 am

Since I told Zeth and Gizzo where I found the Red Headed, I will share that one with you and the group. If you drive down Bethel Rd from Trussler Rd (by New Dundee) go past Queen St. To the first wooded area 100m down the road. Park on the road and stay there. You should hear and see it throughout the day.

Reibs
http://www.tobeframed.ca/p169328242
Reibs

Postby kellie on Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:30 am

Thank you thank you thank you all!!! I have a whole wack of places to visit now! I appreciate it so much. I'll update if I'm successful. :D
kellie

Postby fred.urie on Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:00 pm

I saw 2 male Scarlet Tanagers today on #10 Sideroad Nassagaweya while trying to pish out a bird singing a Golden-winged
Warbler song ending with the occasional Blue-winged note. No bugs at the time. 300 meters from 4th Line Nassagaweya.
fred.urie

Postby kellie on Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:01 pm

Hi Fred, thanks for the info! Is this where you mean? Do you park and wait, or is the place marker on the map the entrance to a trail of some kind? Thanks for your help! It is greatly appreciated!

Kellie
kellie

Postby kellie on Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:04 pm

mustap wrote:pileated woodpecker - Huron Woods is a good spot. Sudden Tract is another.

Peeter, thanks for the extensive help. Where is Huron Woods?

Kellie
kellie

Postby mustap on Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:17 pm

Sorry, by Huron Woods I meant The woods in Huron Natural Area, south of Bleams Rd. In Kitchener off Trillium Drive.
Peeter Musta - mustap.smugmug.com
mustap
Site Admin

Postby kellie on Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:31 am

Thanks Peeter! I was wondering if that's what you meant, but I thought I'd check just to be sure. :D
kellie

Postby kellie on Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:50 pm

Now that I got the gall to ask for help, I have seen two American kestrels incidentally this week--once kiting (kite-ing?) over the intersection of Weber Street North & Columbia Road East and then today near Floradale on the way to the Elmira Lions' Trail--which by the way, is a pretty neat trail.

No other updates yet. Hoping for the red-headed woodpecker perhaps this Friday morning.

If anyone has any other help, I would appreciate it! Especially in-town tips. :)

Hope everyone had a pleasant long weekend!

Kellie
kellie

Postby harrier on Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:49 pm

Twice now, including this afternoon, I have seen a peregrine falcon at Hamilton General Hospital on Barton Street. Down there visiting my mother, and sitting in the grassy courtyard, I watched it chase two juvenile red tails one lunch time. One of the hawks ignored it and promptly snagged a pigeon.
harrier

Postby jstlouis on Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:12 pm

We've got Eastern Bluebirds nesting on the laneway leading up to our house, but they're really shy this year; they fly off as soon as anything - a person, car, horse-and-buggy, you name it - comes near. (And on a sad note, I found a dead baby Bluebird across the laneway from the nesting box the other afternoon. :cry: )
jstlouis

Postby Malcolm on Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:42 pm

jstlouis wrote:We've got Eastern Bluebirds nesting on the laneway leading up to our house, but they're really shy this year; they fly off as soon as anything - a person, car, horse-and-buggy, you name it - comes near. (And on a sad note, I found a dead baby Bluebird across the laneway from the nesting box the other afternoon. :cry: )

Jen try parking your vehicle across from the Bluebirds and wait with the vehicle turned off and the windows down and camera ready. Wait a few minutes and I'll bet they'll come back and if not try playing the bird calls and see if that works. As long as you stay in the vehicle you should be able to get your photo ops and if it works then put some perches out that you like and see if you can draw them to them. I've had them pose for long periods of time within 15 feet using this method but I will admit that 2 months ago was probably a better time to try it.
Malcolm

Postby yaufent on Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:05 pm

As for the luck part, I find the harder I work at things the luckier I get. Alot of the time we make our own luck just by getting out and looking....and hopefully that's what we (photographers) should be shooting for. A photo that does the subject justice, is artistic and tells a story.
Now if I was only creative enough to do that.... :roll:
yaufent

Postby kellie on Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:37 am

Just thought I'd post a quick update on my progress with the summer list, now that time is dwindling!

-Black-crowned night heron--I went to Lakeside Park and saw a couple there. One we were right underneath without realizing it! We were trying to figure out what a couple young ducks were (a pair of fuzzy young wood ducks, all alone) and then heard the familiar feather-fluff out from above, and there was one of the BCNHs. We also made a trip to Hendrie Valley at RBG in Burlington and saw 4--two adults, two immature. THEN, I took a stroll to Clair Lake at the end of July, which I hadn't done since spring, and found four more. They are present nightly. Arrive about 30-45 min before sunset and you are sure to spot them. It is literally a 15 min walk from where I live, so, I have thoroughly checked that one off my list. :D

-Common moorhen (now called common gallinule, I guess??)--saw a couple at Grass Lake, very close to the side of the road. It was one morning, very early. They were calling and then finally showed themselves. They looked much different in real life than I'd expected from the photos.

-Eastern bluebird--also saw a couple near and at Grass Lake! A couple were spotted from the car by Alvan Buckley, and then there was another one perched on one of the guy wires of the transmission towers opposite of Grass Lake. Two birds with one... err, that's poor taste. ;)

So, not that great, but at least we were able to find these birds. Thanks again to everyone for the help.
Kellie
kellie

Return to General Wildlife Talk