The doggie factor

Forum for general chit-chat, general information, and stuff that doesn't fit elsewhere

Moderator: wcleung

Re: The doggie factor

Postby Bicgatepc02 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:17 am

Amazing talent you have Peeter...I can imagine the hours this took. Look forward to seeing the finished work! :D

Postby naturescaretaker on Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:08 pm

I am from Guelph Ont and have the same problems with dogs off leashes coming up to me and barking and snarling,I do alot of nature photography along the Eramosa river by the covered bridge all along the river..I have seen dogs chasing the geese that land on the fields here and come spring with babies this can get pretty scarey.I am there to enjoy myself with out getting harassed by someone elses dog is it to much to ask that the owner realise this and respect other peoples right to some fun in the sun..So this spring I am photocoping the Guelph dog leash by law right off the computer and every time I see a person with a dog not behaving I will walk over to them and hand a bylaw sheet to them take a picture of the d

THE GUELPH HUMANE SOCIETY INCORPORATED
Over a century of caring

Home

About Us

Adopting

Services

How You Can Help

Just For Kids

Events

Get Involved

Links/Resources

About Us
Our Board
AGM 2013 Info
Contact Us
Adoption Gallery
Adoption Info
Happy Endings
Dog Tags
Lost and Found
Re-homing Your Pet
How You Can Help
Membership
Dukes Fund
Cage Sponsorship
Just For Kids
Humane Education
Events
Volunteering
Foster Care
Employment
Animal Bylaws
Links/Resources
Animal Fact Sheets
Living With Wildlife
Friends And Partners

ANIMAL BYLAWS IN THE CITY OF GUELPH
Dog Licensing:
All dogs residing in Guelph are to be licensed for the current year as of January 1st of that year and have their license affixed at all times. Click here for more information on purchasing your dog a license.
A new license must be purchased for each year. If the license is not current for that year, the owner could be subject to a fine ($55.00 fine + a $20 victim surcharge).

Leashing and Control:
A dog must be on a leash no longer than 1.8 metres (6 ft) when on a public trail, park or thoroughfare. The fine is $35 + a $5 surcharge. Extendable leads are not permitted. Dogs must be under a person’s control at all times (on and off leash) and kept at least 1 metre from other people or animals. Dogs are not allowed in wading pools, playgrounds, or occupied sports fields. Dogs in off-leash areas must be in sight, and respond to voice command.

Running at Large:
Dogs not on the premises of the owner or under the control of any person can be impounded. Fees include:
· Impound fee: $50 + $15 per day (+ tax).
· Fine: $60 + a $20 victim surcharge.
In addition, if not licensed then a $55 fine, + a $20 victim surcharge, + the cost of a license.

Animal Regulations within Dog Care:
All dog owners are responsible for providing proper food, water, exercise, and attention to keep their pet in good health. Dogs kept outdoors require a sound, weather-proof (insulated) enclosure with off-the-ground flooring. Dogs that are chained must have at least 3.1 meters (10 ft) in length, (except when the dog is being exercised).

Scooping:
Anyone controlling an animal is responsible for the removal and sanitary disposition of excrement. This by-law is enforced through a civil action and carries a maximum fine of $5000 upon conviction. For more information please consult the article: Why you should stoop and scoop.pdf

Noise:
Persistent whining, barking, calling or other noises made by a domestic animal is prohibited at all times. There is a 24 hour noise by-law in Guelph that carries a maximum penalty upon conviction of $5000 and is enforced by the Guelph Police Service.

Exotic Pets:
The keeping of exotic animals in the City of Guelph is prohibited. A list of prohibited animals may be obtained from the City Clerk. Maximum penalty upon conviction is $2000.

Regulations regarding dogs in Parks and on Trails in the City of Guelph:

Dogs must be under control at all times, that is:

On Leash: kept at a distance of 1 metre from people and other animals.
Off Leash: dog is close to handler within sight and earshot, responds to voice command, and is prevented from approaching within 1 metre of people or animals.

PLEASE NOTE: Pit bulls are not exempted from the provisions of the Dog Owner's Liability Act and Regulation 157/05 in leash-free parks. Pit bulls must be leashed, muzzled and under the control of their guardians in Guelph's leash-free parks.

Dogs may run offf-leash and under control on unoccupied sports fields from:
May 1st through Sept 14th from 8:00pm to 8:00am
September 15th through April 30th from 5:00pm to 8:00am.

Shared leash-free areas have been established in the following areas:

Ward 1: Eramosa River Park (east end)
Grangehill Park (east end)
Ward 2: Riverside Park (west of the river, north of Woodlawn Road)
Ward 3: Norm Jary Park (between the baseball diamonds)
Ward 4: Margaret Green Park (westerly end off Ferman Drive)
Ward 5: Crane Park (all areas)
Centennial Park (between the parking lot and baseball diamonds at C8, C9).
Ward 6: John Gamble PArk area (Old Hanlon Road south of access road leading to Shadybrook Crescent)

Click here to view the leash-free zones in Guelph

Home
About Us
Our Board
AGM
Contact Us
Adoption Gallery
Adoption Info
Happy endings

Dog Tags
Lost and Found
How You Can Help
Membership
Dukes Fund
Cage Sponsorship

Just For Kids
Humane Education
Events
2012 Wiggle Waggle
Volunteering
Foster Care
Employment

Animal Bylaws
Links / Resources
Animal Fact Sheets
Living With Wildlife
Friends and partners

Website by Cyber Design Concepts

og and tell them next time I see the dog of the leash I will call the bylaw enforcement officers and have them charged..
naturescaretaker

Postby wcleung on Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:27 am

Hi naturescaretaker, I really appreciate what you're doing. It seems like a very good idea. If I'm not so afraid of the dogs, I will do the same near Columbia Lake in Waterloo ... Debbie
wcleung

Postby Jeff Hunt on Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:49 am

A very noble endeavour indeed but please be very careful. Not all dog owners will think what you are doing is justified and they may let you know what they think. Taking a picture of the animal is likely to push the launch button on many folks. Education is a huge part of what needs to be done. There is plenty of room for nature lovers and for dog owners throughout our cities and parks.

My experience in dealing with people is that unless they think they are going to be charged they will do whatever they please. Whether its speeding, drinking outdoors or allowing their dogs to run free if there is no enforcement there is little to no compliance. Ask yourself this....when was the last time you saw a by-law enforcement officer or police officer enforcing any leash or poop and scoop laws. Even the ridiculously low fine schedule shows that municipalities do not take this seriously.

If you can identify the owner you can contact the proper law enforcement agency and launch a complaint. Let them know you are willing to testify in court and demand that they lay a charge. It is quite proper for a charge to be laid solely on the basis of witness accounts.This is done all the time ie: motor vehicle collisions, noisy parties etc.

I am both a dog owner and someone who loves to be outside. I am also fortunate to live in a rural area so I have no need to bring my dog into the city or parks but I have experienced dogs running free. Don't blame the dog, blame to human.

Cheers,

Jeff
Jeff Hunt

Postby BirderGuelph1 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:58 am

You can add Riverside Park in Guelph to the list of problem spots. I was photographing the Greater White-fronted Goose surrounded by around 1000 Canada Geese one day in January and was appraoched by a lady with 2 dogs ranting about how the geese are being shot just north of Woodlawn. The next thing I knew her one dog was running up the Speed River on the ice and sent all the birds into panic mode.
Last edited by BirderGuelph1 on Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BirderGuelph1

Postby BirderGuelph1 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:19 am

You can add Riverside Park in Guelph to the list of problem spots. I was photographing the Greater White-fronted Goose surrounded by around 1000 Canada Geese one day in January and was appraoched by a lady with 2 dogs ranting about how the geese are being shot just north of Woodlawn. The next thing I knew her one dog was running up the Speed River on the ice and sent all the birds into panic mode.
Last edited by BirderGuelph1 on Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BirderGuelph1

Postby naturescaretaker on Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:30 pm

Thanks for the feedback and advice..I too love dogs but owners have to realize that there is other people who take time out of there busy schedule to go outdoors to relax and enjoy themselves that is why there is areas set aside for the dog owners to take there dogs,I have met alot of well mannered dog and am pleased to interact with them,but If I see a dog approaching off a leash I find myself moving away from the dog I have as much right on the trails as anybody else and shouldn't have to give way to an irrate dog..and I hope none of the dogs off there leash never meet up with the coyotes we have wandering around here.So EVERYBODY go out and enjoy the outdoors..
naturescaretaker

Postby fred.urie on Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:14 pm

Backyard in Guelph

fred.urie

Postby fred.urie on Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:24 pm

fred.urie

Postby Clicker on Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:55 pm

This guy doesnt look to healthy. All he wants is a good meal. keep your cats and dogs locked up. He cant go to Pet Value. And we are stealing their forests for subdivisions. Thanks for sharing.
Clicker

Postby naturescaretaker on Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:48 pm

I caught this guy right down by the covered bridge here in guelph,doesn"t look to healthy either..
Attachments
Hungry Coyote...jpg
Hungry Coyote...jpg (173.68 KiB) Viewed 1402 times
naturescaretaker

Postby fred.urie on Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:13 pm

Healthy

fred.urie

Postby Pandion on Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:18 am

It just came to my attention that there is a petition of 300 signatures to make Snyder's Flats an off-leash dog park.

Has anyone added their voice to the discussion, or is it pretty much decided that the petition will fail?
Pandion

Postby kellie on Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:52 am

I'm really glad you brought this up. I read in the Record in June that despite the petition, an off-leash dog park at Snyder's Flats would not be a reality. '"Conservation lands are supposed to be about conservation," [authority spokesperson Dave Schultz] said. "Having it as an off-leash dog park would not be compatible with those goals."' (June 7, The Record).

However, I found this page on facebook in support of Snyder's Flats 'remaining' (despite that it's always been the rule/by-law, just unenforced) leash-free. I browsed comments and came across a link to this GRCA board meeting document from a few days ago (scroll to page 64). From how it reads, it seems that the possibility of making Snyder's Flats an off-leash dog area is actually being entertained?? How is this possible?? I will be the first to admit that I do not visit Snyder's Flats any longer because of getting jumped on by out-of-control dogs every single visit, despite the possibility of seeing decent birds there. Most species I was interested in I have found at other spots, anyway. However, I was thrilled to learn that enforcement was being ramped up earlier this year. It was pleasing to hear that complaints had made a difference, and that it was understood that stewardship of land for the health and ecology of the area (including humans) superseded the vigilante attitude of so many selfish dog owners. I hoped that finally I might be able to visit again without having to fear for my safety! Now I am just disgusted. I can't actually understand how people's pets are somehow being viewed as more important than reviving the natural functioning of the floodplain at Snyder's Flats. What can we do to stop this from happening???
kellie

Postby Pandion on Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:14 pm

I've been thinking about this a lot lately because last winter I think my local community trail became a convenience for dog walkers who would normally be going to Snyder's Flats. I couldn't believe the amount of dog poop and people who will let their dogs charge at you and then make light of it. I had a shoulder injury and one dog jumped on my back as I was trying to gently explain to the owner why I didn't want his dog trying to play with my leashed dog. One day there was a woman with six large off-leash dogs and one crashed into my knees and the woman took off as fast as she could to avoid responsibility for the injury.

I'd read recently that the number of households with dogs had doubled in the last decade. That makes sense to me when I observe the lack of control I see in my neighbours with dogs. These are many new dog owners who haven't figured out how to manage their charges and have no interest in the rights of others. So, despite being a dog lover myself, I see a need for education and enforcement. I started wearing a body cam and now I can usually prove who needs to be "educated". And no one ever notices the video camera, despite that it's not a spycam.

I've also been harrassed at Snyder's Flats when carrying my birding camera. Using a dog to harrass an innocent person is criminal harrassment, similar to using any weapon. I guess at that location it would be an OPP matter.
Pandion

Postby wcleung on Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:17 pm

Pandion wrote:I started wearing a body cam and now I can usually prove who needs to be "educated".

I should get one for my run! Debbie
wcleung

Postby Pandion on Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:59 pm

I haven't used the camcorder for running because there's quite a lot of jostling even when only walking. The camera shifts back and forth and there's a fair bit of noise of gear rubbing together--you can hear the icecubes in my water bottle!

But, I can record licence plates and vehicles as well as people and dogs in my personal space.

At least in Kitchener, if a dog owner doesn't pick up after their dog, Animal Control will take it away after a few infractions. Not easy to prove, perhaps, but not impossible. I think if you have witnesses or a video recording they will be fined for each infraction.
Pandion

Previous

Return to General Wildlife Talk