Snowy Owl on 401

Sightings for the rest of Ontario

Moderator: wcleung

Snowy Owl on 401

Postby Peter C. on Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:19 pm

You know, I don't actually keep a "commute list" - that is to say, all the birds that I've seen in the past 11 years driving the 401 between Kitchener and Mississauga for work. But I really should, because in all those years, there have been some dandies! (Peregrine and Pileated Woodpecker come to mind, off the top of my head).

But nothing up til now can top the sighting, this morning at about 0730, of a Snowy Owl perched on a road sign beside the 401 eastbound exit to Mississauga Rd./Erin Mills Parkway. She just sat there, all fluffed out, as I sailed past on my way to work. Unfortunately, there was really no safe place to stop on the ramp - otherwise, I probably could have got a pretty good picture, even on my cell!
Peter C.,
Chief &c,
A.H.O.R.B.
Peter C.

Re: Snowy Owl on 401

Postby Peter C. on Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:08 pm

... aaaaand she's back again this morning! Same off-ramp, just sitting on top of a different sign; it's like she's migrated about 20 m. further west in 24 hours.

:P
Peter C.,
Chief &c,
A.H.O.R.B.
Peter C.

Re: Snowy Owl on 401

Postby wcleung on Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:31 am

Woow, they're really everywhere this year! Jon came from the airport on new year day and told me he saw two flushed by the plane! Cheers, Debbie
wcleung

Return to The Rest of Ontario