Gull ID help

For posting info on locations outside of Ontario

Moderator: wcleung

Gull ID help

Postby wcleung on Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:41 pm

Taking in Vancouver, Burrard Inlet just now. There was a little fleeting glow from the sun on the mountains so I wanted to snap a shot with the sliding door opened but I didn't want to disturb him/her. He/she ignored me completely (actually, he/she looked at me for a long time, but just quietly sharing the balcony within 3-4 feet, and no asking for food, nor shying away).
Then I realized (on google) he/she wasn't a western ... It's fairly big (herring size I think) and certainly pretty to look at ...
Any one has an idea?
Cheers, Debbie
Attachments
IMG_5716-ss.JPG
IMG_5716-ss.JPG (222.92 KiB) Viewed 360 times
wcleung

Re: Gull ID help

Postby wcleung on Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:24 am

I just got back and checking the Sibley guide, glacuous-winged gull seems closest. Cheers, Debbie
wcleung

Re: Gull ID help

Postby Peter C. on Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:49 am

I agree. Partly just because of the (not-so-strictly-useful) fact that there are more GWGUs on the west coast than any other species, but also because this bird seems to have the expected wing-tip pattern for that species - a nice row of white primary tips, but without any black (or slate) adjacent to them.

There are, I am informed, a great many Glaucous/Western hybrids out there, but I think this possibility can by safely dismissed in this case; among other things, the hybrid would have a somewhat darker mantle.
Peter C.,
Chief &c,
A.H.O.R.B.
Peter C.

Return to Outside of Ontario