How-to Show Sightings in Google Maps

Forum for announcements about the software

Moderator: wcleung

How-to Show Sightings in Google Maps

Postby jbrierley on Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:08 pm

First off, use the sightings explorer web site to view a list of sightings (the last week, or the last two weeks, for example). The site is:

http://jonbrierley.dyndns.org/explorer

At the bottom of the sightings listing page is an option to download a google earth KML file. Right-click this link, and choose "Copy Shortcut".

Go to google maps: http://maps.google.com

In the search box, right-click, and choose "Paste". Click the search button.

The google maps will be shown with the sightings plotted. Click one of the sightings icons to expand out the list of sightings for that location.
jbrierley
Site Admin

Postby Josh Crozier on Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:39 pm

Very cool!

Does anyone else find that most of Riverside park is a big blur?
Josh Crozier

Postby Josh Crozier on Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:05 pm

Oops. I open the file in Good Earth, not Good Maps. It works very well in Google Earth. How often is that updated? And can we contribute?
Josh Crozier

Postby jbrierley on Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:37 pm

Hi, Josh: The sightings are logged using software I developed for the Guelph Field Naturalists. It's map-based sighting logging software. It's available for a minimum $40 donation via their web site: www.guelphfieldnaturalists.org . Just donate, and send them a note telling them you want it and they'll send you a CD with the software on it. It's got full map detail for Ontario currently, and partial for the rest of canada (major highways, basically). I'm working on adding Florida.

You log your sightings using the software and the integrated maps, then tell it to upload them to the internet database (which I run). After that, they're available on the web site.

Yes, it works fine in Google Earth as well as Google Maps. The Google Maps info is just an "additional" feature.

The help file is available on-line if you want to check out the features: http://www.naturesbestcreations.com/seh ... ?index.htm
jbrierley
Site Admin

Postby Josh Crozier on Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:50 pm

I have ordered the software. I was totally impressed with the way I was able to pinpoint the exact sightings. I hope to soon be able to add to the maps!
Josh Crozier

Postby jbrierley on Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:47 pm

That's great, Josh. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did writing it! I'm not aware of any other listing software that has features like it.

If you have any questions or suggestions when you get the CD, you know where to find me!

Regards,
Jon
jbrierley
Site Admin

Return to Announcements and Software Updates