IMPORTANT - FORUM MIGRATION - ALL USERS PLEASE READ

Forum for announcements about the software

Moderator: wcleung

IMPORTANT - FORUM MIGRATION - ALL USERS PLEASE READ

Postby jbrierley on Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:17 pm

Hello, everyone. As you may know, this forum is a private endeavour that I keep running because it's popular and I'm not doing anything better with my disk space allowance! :) It does, however, cost a fair amount of money each month (around $40). I've had the urge for quite some time to move to another service provider that is a little more economical but maintains the same service.

Next weekened (April 28), I will be migrating the site to a new service provider. We will also be getting a new domain name - nbest.ca, rather than naturesbestcreations.com (that one was way too long!). It's my hope that by doing that it will keep the spammers out for a while, since it should take them a while to find the forums again once the domain changes. By the way, thanks to the moderators for keeping the board clean. I know it's not always easy and I'm sure everyone appreciates it.

I have done a test migration this weekend and it seemed to go well. It's at http://www.nbest.ca/phpBB3 if you wish to check it out (but please don't post to it - any posts added will be overwritten when I do the final migration).

When I begin the migration (sometime between Friday and Sunday) the current forums will be taken off-line, migrated to the new domain, and then I will put up a redirect page to the new site at the old location. I will keep that redirect page alive for a couple of months to allow the less frequent visitors to note the change, after which I'll cancel the old service. The forums may be down anywhere for a couple of hours up to a day.

One side-effect of the domain name change is that the old persistent logins won't work any more and you'll likely have to log in again, so I hope you all know your user names and passwords!

Please pass the word.

Thanks,
Jon
jbrierley
Site Admin

Re: IMPORTANT - FORUM MIGRATION - ALL USERS PLEASE READ

Postby jbrierley on Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:14 pm

PS. This doesn't mean I'm transferring the forums to someone else. I'm just getting a different provider for my web hosting and changing the domain name. The only difference you should see is that the address you use to get here will change.

Regards,
Jon
jbrierley
Site Admin

Postby Karen on Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:13 am

Thanks for all your hard work and support of this site/forum Jon....it is certainly much appreciated! :D
Karen

Postby jbrierley on Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:06 pm

No problem, Karen. I'm glad folks enjoy it!
jbrierley
Site Admin

Return to Announcements and Software Updates