Trip preparation...

Post general usage questions here - "How do I?"

Moderator: wcleung

Trip preparation...

Postby Frank.P on Wed May 12, 2010 8:25 pm

Lori and I are planning a couple of photography trips this spring/summer. Our first trip will see us in the field for 10 days (Tobermory) and the second for 17 (Gaspe/Perce), both locations will not have readily accessible power sources. We've never had our gear away from home for this amount of time and would appreciate some suggestions on how best to overcome some potential issues...

1. Camera battery charge,... we're contemplating getting a power converter/inverter that would allow us to plug the chargers in to the car,... would this work considering the amount of time needed to charge batteries, would this not require the car to be running?

2. Card dumps,... don't really want to lug around my laptop for dumping, any other options?,.. such as portable HD/viewers?

thanks in advance,
Frank & Lori
Frank.P

Re: Trip preparation...

Postby Mike O on Wed May 12, 2010 8:58 pm

I have an Optex charger that plugs into the cars power point, it works great when I need it and adapts to many baterry types. As far as memory capacity I find that if you edit from the cards in the evening your cards will go further and have more keepers on them when you return home. I have 4-8GB memory cards and found on a seven day trip photographing above and below water I still had plenty of room for more. I shoot in RAW so thats about 350 shots per card, imagine having that many keepers in 7 days. I hope you have great trips this summer, have fun.
Mike O

Postby mlorenz on Wed May 12, 2010 10:31 pm

I have a charger that plugs into the cigarette lighter too. Works great, has a USB port (charge iphone, etc) and regular 3-prong power port which you could plug your laptop and battery chargers into. DON'T have it plugged in when the car is not running, it will drain your car battery!! I learned that one the hard way. It really doesn't take that long to charge the battery's anyway.

I travel with my laptop now, but for you it sounds like a card device would work better given the circumstances. I have an epson 3000 for sale if you're interested. (but there are other good types too). I used it for two trips before I got a laptop. It accepts many different cards, lets you see the images on the large(ish) screen making it easier see/dump files you know you don't want. It needs one specialty battery (but I have two, hate waiting for battery's to charge.) And it's small and doesn't take up room like a laptop would.

Are you going to Bonaventure Island?!! I'm really hoping to get there this summer, never been before.

Megan.
mlorenz

Postby Frank.P on Thu May 13, 2010 5:28 am

Thanks Mike,

We currently have 3 - 16 GB cards, with a 7D and a 1DMkIII they tend to fill up quickly, 7D in RAW is about 500 shots, 1D,.. about 900. Where did you buy your Optex charger?

Thanks Megan,

How many GB's would your Epsom hold?, if you don't mind, what's the screen size and resolution?

Lori and I were at Bonaventure Island back in June 2006, and we will definitely plan a return.

thanks,
Frank
Frank.P

Postby Mike O on Thu May 13, 2010 8:03 am

I bought my Optex at Kawartha Stereo and TV when I was in Peterborough a couple years ago. I was charging a battery on a trip to Ohio and left my battery and Canon charger plugged in to the wall at my wifes uncles. As it would be a couple months before I got my charger and battery back the Optex was a lifesaver. I never had a problem with it running my car battery down, I don't think it uses much power once the battery is charged but my car never sits very long so I would never have charged more than one battery between running the car.
Mike O

Postby mlorenz on Thu May 13, 2010 2:43 pm

Hi Frank:

Here's the info on the epson: It's the 40GB Model

•4-inch Epson Photo Fine® Ultra LCD
•Adobe® RGB color space support
•Fast downloads (memory cards/ USB devices)

An essential tool for the professional photographer, the Epson® P-3000 provides an innovative way to download, store and display thousands of photos, videos and more on the spot - without a computer. With the ultra fast processor, it’s easy to backup images right from your memory card or camera. Transfer thousands of photos in no time at all. Then, continue shooting.

With the large, four-inch LCD, you’ll be able to instantly review images, or share your portfolio with clients immediately after the shoot. In fact, you can easily view slide shows and videos, or listen to audio files. Best of all, you’ll be able to present professional quality images anywhere you go. Epson Photo Fine® Ultra LCD technology means you’ll see every color and detail. With Adobe RGB color space support, each viewer displays over 16.7 million colors. You can even zoom in and verify RAW files. With the Epson P-3000, it couldn’t be easier!

And, with a long battery life, they’re ideal for extended, on-location shoots. Save and view all your best shots at the scene. Or, transfer files from your camera or any USB device. You can even connect to your PC when you get back to the studio. The Epson P-3000 makes it easy to save and share images virtually anywhere, with amazing clarity and color.

I've heard the best things about the Epson models, but also know a few photograhers that like Hyperdrives. (They come with much larger capacity's from 160GB-640GB...and also I think most models have the RAW support.)

For the charger for the car- I bought mine at Future Shop. My husband went and got a similar one at The Source for quite a bit cheaper.

Great shot of Bonaventure. Wish flights were cheaper to make a 3 or 4 day trip possible.

Hope this helps! ~Megan.
mlorenz

Postby Frank.P on Thu May 13, 2010 7:13 pm

Thanks Guys,

I dropped by at the Henry's story in Sudbury (current work location) and they only had the one unit. A Hyperdrive UDMA 'Colorspace' for $449.99. Has a 300GB HD, I wasn't too impressed at the quality of the display, seemed similar to the 1DMkIIIs display... I'm really undecided!

Frank

edit: just came across this HDD,.. I'll check around to see if it's readily available.

http://www.vosonic.com/product.php?PA=f ... =1&id_1=16
Frank.P

Postby mlorenz on Thu May 13, 2010 7:24 pm

That's one of the reasons I went with the Epson....much better display. (and less reported problems compared to the Hyperdrives.) Are there any other camera stores in your area? I'd at least look at both brands before making a decision.
mlorenz

Postby karl egressy on Fri May 14, 2010 2:01 pm

Frank, I wish I could advise. I have virtually never have been to a place where I had no electricity.
Only when we went interior camping, but it was before the digital age. :D
karl egressy
Site Admin

Postby Frank.P on Fri May 14, 2010 8:55 pm

Thank you Megan, Mike and Karl for the feedback.

Not much of an option out there, I get the feeling these gadgets don't sell very well,... very, very pricy. I ended up buying the Epsom P6000, (80GB hard drive) with a very good screen. We're heading up to Tobermory tomorrow for 10 days, so I'll have a good account on the usability, download time and battery life.

I hope everyone has a great week and long weekend,...

Frank
Frank.P

Return to Usage Questions