Photobucket

Post general usage questions here - "How do I?"

Moderator: wcleung

Photobucket

Postby Malcolm on Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:45 pm

Anybody else use Photobucket as a web hosting site? I seem to have some quirky posting issues. And if you're not using Photobucket what are you using?
Malcolm

Re: Photobucket

Postby Gail on Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:51 pm

Malcolm, I'm using it, but just as a repository for posting pictures. For that it works really well. What kind of quirks?
Gail

Postby Malcolm on Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:05 pm

Hi Gail

Well normally I use it as the host site for my forum posting (this one and others). It seems to have always worked in the past but tonight I posted the Barn Owl shots here and one of them at BPN (Art Morris' site). After posting I noticed that the BPN image looked soft. I then noticed that it was physically larger than the Photobucket image and the same one posted here .. it was about 12% bigger in physical dimensions i.e.about an inch wider. I then had a look at the same image on my laptop and compared the 3 sites and they were different again. This part I can sort of understand because the laptop screen is smaller than my desktop but this time it was the image on this Forum that was a different size. I'm beginning to think that Photobuket has some issues and that maybe I should go back and start using Flickr as the host site again. Weird.
Malcolm

Postby Alex Thomson on Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:10 am

I've been using photobucket without any problems (so far). I have never been able to figure out how to post from Flickr. So I use Photobucket for stuff I want to post and Flickr to store full size copies of my images.....just in case I loose everything on my cpu. AGAIN :shock:
-Alex
Alex Thomson

Postby Quentin on Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:56 pm

I also use Photobucket, but just for posting pictures. Have had no problems.
Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience.
Quentin

Postby Malcolm on Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:13 pm

I'm now playing around with Flickr to see if it presents any posting issues .. still haven't found out why Photobucket screwed up the posting to BPN.
Malcolm

Postby stuartimmonen on Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:09 pm

I use Flickr exclusively -- Alex, no wonder I didn't see your Wood Duck there! Sorry you don't use it more...

Anyway, no posting issues at all for me. Flickr gives you two options to post away from the host site, either using HTML with URL and IMG included (the URL links back to the original Flickr page, and this is part of the Terms of Service, but they also, and this is the most common way, provide a straight IMG link (for example: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2467/401 ... 4286d8.jpg) which you can just paste into the message here with the BBCode IMG tags:

The only thing about using the HTML option here is that you have to substitute the HTML tags for BBCode tags. No big deal for one image, but a hassle for several, so most people just copy and paste the IMG link.

Also, Flickr builds several size options into the hosting procedure, so this one for example is available as 75x75 (useful for avatars) , 100x100, 240x240, 500x500 1024x1024 and the original size. They also have redundancies built in (they went down today briefly for the first time I've been using the service and saved all outbound linked images for blogs etc for tens of thousands of users.

In addition, there are community options available to all Flickr users, so I can see Alex' or Ruth's or Andre's photos as they are uploaded, and comment on them there as well as here. However, users can also flag photos as private, or only visible to certain other designated members. It's a very, very robust service.

stuart
stuartimmonen

Postby Malcolm on Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:40 pm

Stuart, Alex still uses Flickr but we've both been using Photobucket for posting purposes ... his Wood Ducks are there. I started usingPhotobucket because it's easier to use for posting and because until recently I couldn't figure out why I was only able to post a link and not the image from Flickr. It seems that when I try and copy the URL into the post it's missing the [img]and[/img] on either side of the http stuff so I have to type that stuff in. The thing that I noticed about Photobucket and possibly Flickr is that for some weird reason the image is sometimes a different physical dimension when posted on certain Forums than it is on the host site. Sometimes it's smaller and sometimes it's bigger and if larger it's softer but it seems to be only on certain Forums .. not this one though. weird.

stuartimmonen wrote:I use Flickr exclusively -- Alex, no wonder I didn't see your Wood Duck there! Sorry you don't use it more...

Anyway, no posting issues at all for me. Flickr gives you two options to post away from the host site, either using HTML with URL and IMG included (the URL links back to the original Flickr page, and this is part of the Terms of Service, but they also, and this is the most common way, provide a straight IMG link (for example: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2467/401 ... 4286d8.jpg) which you can just paste into the message here with the BBCode IMG tags:

The only thing about using the HTML option here is that you have to substitute the HTML tags for BBCode tags. No big deal for one image, but a hassle for several, so most people just copy and paste the IMG link.

Also, Flickr builds several size options into the hosting procedure, so this one for example is available as 75x75 (useful for avatars) , 100x100, 240x240, 500x500 1024x1024 and the original size. They also have redundancies built in (they went down today briefly for the first time I've been using the service and saved all outbound linked images for blogs etc for tens of thousands of users.

In addition, there are community options available to all Flickr users, so I can see Alex' or Ruth's or Andre's photos as they are uploaded, and comment on them there as well as here. However, users can also flag photos as private, or only visible to certain other designated members. It's a very, very robust service.

stuart
Malcolm

Postby Malcolm on Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:44 pm

OK so after running into this issue again I finally have the answer. If you're like me and have crappy eyesight you probably increase the magnification on your screen on occasion (control +) particularly if you are using a lap top. While this makes the text and image easier to read and see it does degrade image quality. What I was noticing when using my lap top was that certain sites seem to have smaller presentation formats so I would bump the magnification on those and the computer apparently remembers that change. This site has a smaller presentation format than does Flickr on my machine so I have never needed to bump Flickr. So in the end I could read the text easier but the image had lost a bit of IQ. While I haven't gone back and tested Photobucket I'm certain I was seeing the same issue there so problem solved .. interestingly this might help explain why some people might comment that an image looks soft to them but nobody else sees the softness.
Malcolm

Postby arnottfigaro44 on Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:57 am

Then I had to consider the same image on my laptop, and compared with the three points and were still different. This part I can kind of understand, because your laptop screen is smaller than my desktop, but this time it was a photo of this forum, which was a different dimension. I'm starting to think that Photobuket are some things, and maybe I should go back and start using Flickr as a host site again. Weird.
arnottfigaro44

Return to Usage Questions