Canon 5D Markii vs 50D

Post general usage questions here - "How do I?"

Moderator: wcleung

Canon 5D Markii vs 50D

Postby Malcolm on Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:48 pm

Just curious if anyone has a 5D Markii and what they think of it? I'm thinking about upgrading from my XTi and the 2 cameras I'm looking at are the new 5D Markii and the 50D ....... thoughts?
Malcolm

Re: Canon 5D Markii vs 50D

Postby Alex Thomson on Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:52 pm

I can't comment but I am interested to see what people really think. I'd bet the 5D will win hands down but I'm sure that it's more expensive, shoots at a slower frame rate and since it's full sensor you loose the 1.6x crop factor that we all seem to want for wildlife.
I think it's like comparing apples and oranges but then again I own neither.
You should dig deeper into your pocket and get the 1D mark 3 :)
-Alex
Alex Thomson

Postby Malcolm on Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:15 pm

Yah I guess a 1D of any variety would be nice but big $$$$$ ... so that leaves the 5D Markii and the 50D. I know the APS-C sensor in most of Canon's lineup (including the 50D) seems to get a lot of attention for bird photography because of the 1.6x "magnification/ crop" factor but IQ has to be the yard stick because I can always do the crop in photoshop. And I'm not convinced that pixel density is necessarily the yard stick either because the 1D's have the lowest numbers in the Canon lineup. If there's one thing I am convinced of is that I'm confused hence post ........... help!
Malcolm

Postby Alex Thomson on Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:07 pm

Malcolm wrote: If there's one thing I am convinced of is that I'm confused hence post ........... help!

Welcome to the world of digital photography. :?
-Alex
Alex Thomson

Postby mustap on Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:40 pm

Sorry i can't be much help on this one. Not familiar with either. I am happy with my Sony Alpha 100 until i am ready to drop serious money on pro gear.

Just based on observing how quickly things are advancing with cameras....i don't think its the cameras that matter. Buy the lenses...they don't really change. Spend your money there. You can buy a cheap body now...and get the 1D in 2 years when it is half its current price.
Peeter Musta - mustap.smugmug.com
mustap
Site Admin

Postby Malcolm on Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:54 pm

Peeter from what I've seen of your postings and your Smugmug site you're an outstanding photographer so any advice is good advice. Out of curiosity what focal length lens are you using for your long bird lens?
Malcolm

Postby mustap on Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:11 pm

Thank you Malcolm.

Out of curiosity what focal length lens are you using for your long bird lens?

Sigma 50-500mm 1:4-6.3 APO DG. I would like to purchase the Sony 70-300 G SSM as my backup lens.
Peeter Musta - mustap.smugmug.com
mustap
Site Admin

Postby karl egressy on Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:08 pm

Hi Malcolm,

It seems to me so far the 50D did not deliver.
Also they had some problem with the 5D Mark II as well.
I you can afford to wait, bide your time until they clear out the issues they had with
the first batch of each model.

Karl.
karl egressy
Site Admin

Postby Malcolm on Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:06 pm

Hi Karl

I know what you mean. I've read both positive and negative reviews on both cameras to the point were I've got a headache. At this point I'm leaning towards the 50D as a bit of a stop gap until 1) I get better and can justify more camera and 2) the price comes down and I can justify more camera. Not that the 50D is a slouch, it's certainly way more camera than my XTi and probably more camera then I deserve based on skill level but what the hell a 50D and a 500mm f4 sounds like fun. It is only money and Lord knows I've lost enough of it the last few months in the market so why not spend some. :D
Malcolm

Postby jbrierley on Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:00 pm

I might be able to comment, Malcolm. I don't have any experience with the 5D Mk II, but I do have a 30D, 5D (mark 1), and a 1D III and I've used them all for bird photography.

I found the 5D to be pretty good for birds. The full-frame sensor gives a great quality picture - far less noise than the 30D and really nice bokeh (smooth attractive backgrounds). I didn't find the 3 fps to be a real problem for most situations (the exception being perhaps flight shots). I think I remember reading that the 5D II has closer to 5 fps (but don't quote me on that), so it should be better for that. I found that the 12.8 MP on the Mk I gave a pretty good approximation of the 1.6 crop on the 30D and I liked the shots better because of the signal to noise ratio of the larger sensor (in non-geek speak, that means the quality of the picture was better).

As to the problems Karl mentions: After buying the 1D III during the whole autofocus fiasco and going through the blue-dot, not blue dot, mirror box fixed or not broohaha, I'll never again buy a bleeding edge camera. Karl's advice to wait a bit is good advice. Canon's really given themselves a black eye with the problems they've had in the last few models. They've a ways to go before they convince me that their QC is back up to snuff.

Hope that helps!

Jon
jbrierley
Site Admin

Return to Usage Questions