Monopod question

Post general usage questions here - "How do I?"

Moderator: wcleung

Monopod question

Postby number6 on Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:19 pm

I have a Manfrotto 679 monopod that I'm finding just a bit on the short side. When I bought it it was the longest one I could find and I thought I wouldn't mind bending over to use it but definitely a pain in the ....... I'm 6'4" so a 6" - 8" extension would be perfect. I've had a look online but didn't see anything. Anybody have any ideas or suggestions.
number6

Re: Monopod question

Postby Alex Thomson on Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:27 pm

I am about the same height and use the Manfrotto 681 which is 5cm longer. I use a ball head on it which will give you a few inches of extra height.
-Alex
Alex Thomson

Postby number6 on Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:03 am

Thanks Alex, good idea I'll see what I can find.
number6

Postby mustap on Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:17 pm

I am 6'3" and use the Manfrotto 682. I find i rarely end up using it at full extension. The quick release mount adds another 2" or so on top.

From their site....Height is 172.0 vs. 156 which you have with the model 679. When i am not shooting handheld....i found it works nicely. Bought it at Henry's.
Peeter Musta - mustap.smugmug.com
mustap
Site Admin

Postby number6 on Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:55 pm

I see the Manfrotto 682 has the tripod base, how do you like that?
number6

Postby mustap on Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:22 pm

number6 wrote:I see the Manfrotto 682 has the tripod base, how do you like that?

Pretty useless. Its not very stable if you have the monopod at any meaningful height. I can't imagine that anyone really uses it much. Otherwise a great monopod in my humble opinion.
Peeter Musta - mustap.smugmug.com
mustap
Site Admin

Postby jbrierley on Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:43 pm

Manfrotto sells a pistol-grip ball head that adds about 8" of height to a monopod and is very handy (you just squeeze a lever to unlock it). It should work fine up to about a 400 F5.6. No good for a "big gun", though - they exceed the weight rating. Henrys sells it.
jbrierley
Site Admin

Postby number6 on Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:14 pm

jbrierley wrote:Manfrotto sells a pistol-grip ball head that adds about 8" of height to a monopod and is very handy (you just squeeze a lever to unlock it). It should work fine up to about a 400 F5.6. No good for a "big gun", though - they exceed the weight rating. Henrys sells it.

I was looking at that one online today (the 222 Joystick Ball Head) and the lens I want to use it with is Canon's 300mm f4.0, so it sounds like a good fit, thanks.
number6

Postby jbrierley on Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:03 pm

I've got one that I used for many a year. I eventually dropped it and broke the plastic lever that unlocks the ball, but it lasted a good long time and worked very well. I bought another one to replace it. It's pretty darned handy - just squeeze and move it, then release. I wish they made one that would take my 500 F4!
jbrierley
Site Admin

Postby number6 on Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:26 pm

Good to know, thanks.
number6

Postby number6 on Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:04 pm

jbrierley wrote:I've got one that I used for many a year. I eventually dropped it and broke the plastic lever that unlocks the ball, but it lasted a good long time and worked very well. I bought another one to replace it. It's pretty darned handy - just squeeze and move it, then release. I wish they made one that would take my 500 F4!

Pick one up today, now all I need to do is get out and start using it.
number6

Return to Usage Questions