Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.

Post general usage questions here - "How do I?"

Moderator: wcleung

Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.

Postby Quentin on Sat May 18, 2013 6:35 pm

Have been trying to post photo's this evening and this keeps coming up... Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached. Wonder if anyone else is having a problem.
Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience.
Quentin

Re: Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.

Postby Peter C. on Sun May 19, 2013 7:06 am

This is only a test.

Yes... me too. Presumably, a maintance issue; perhaps, in the past, Jon used to "clear" old attachments, to maintain space? I'm afraid I don't know much about forums...
Peter C.,
Chief &c,
A.H.O.R.B.
Peter C.

Postby drooke on Thu May 23, 2013 10:19 am

Me too......who can fix this??
drooke

Postby Cameron Ball on Thu May 23, 2013 2:52 pm

I can't help with the fix, but I have been unable to post photos for the past 5 days or so as well.

Cam
Cameron Ball

Postby Clicker on Thu May 23, 2013 8:41 pm

unfortunate, I also tried to post some photos.
Clicker

Postby wcleung on Thu May 23, 2013 11:04 pm

Test from picassa (hooded warbler, Spooky Hollow):
Test from flickr (baby killdeers, Turkey Point):
See what happens.
Debbie
Last edited by wcleung on Thu May 23, 2013 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wcleung

Postby wcleung on Thu May 23, 2013 11:28 pm

It seems that I've uploaded two photos just now.
If you already have some photo sharing accounts (e.g., picassa (comes with gmail), flickr (comes with yahoo mail), photobucket, pbase etc) you can do the following:
1. Upload a photo to one of these account
2. Proceed to create your post on nbest as before.
a. Instead of clicking "upload attachment" below the textbox you're typing onto, click the "Img" button above the textbox.
This creates the pair of commands img and /img with square brackets.
b. Then, go to the photo you've uploaded elsewhere. Click the right mouse button (dono how for a mac) and choose "copy image location". Image location should have xxx.jpg in the end, do not use the URL of the page showing the photo.
c. Paste that image location onto the space between img and /img . e.g.,
Cheers,
Debbie
wcleung

Postby Peter C. on Fri May 24, 2013 6:52 am

Debbie:

Thanks for the instructions. I don't have any online "source" to link to, but I suppose I could get one, if I wanted to (photos, as you may have noticed, are not exactly 'my thing' :wink: ). Still, be a lot easier if we could go back to posting images directly, by "clearing the cache" or something.

In fact, I was musing to myself the other day, as follows - if some large images, in some really old posts, were removed, would that free up space for more board attachments? (I never have put many attachments on, so I couldn't do the experiment myself... anybody else have a lot of old posts that they could go back and remove attachments from?).

Ta.

Peter
Peter C.

Postby wcleung on Fri May 24, 2013 11:45 am

I also know little about how forums are set up.
But from experience, the smallest photos are about 50K, and typical ones are about 100-150K. Unlike emails, each attachment here is already limited to a max of 250K. So, each removed old photo will only provide space for very few new ones.
I have no idea which method (external or upload attachment) is better. There are many differences, and it's certainly useful to have alternatives.
External sites can make the limited quota lasts much longer. Some methods to link to external sites (not the one I found yesterday) can give a pathway to a larger collection of the same user -- I spent an hour on Karl's last night, literally until my index finger hurted :)
A possible downside (besides a little less obvious how it works) is, I don't know if the links are stable over the years. I've noticed many missing photos in a different forum (the Canon potn).
One more alternative ... I feel indebted to the few who've covered the logistical and financial burden of the forum (besides others who so generously share knowledge and photos). I wonder if there is a way for users to voluntarily chip in.
Debbie
wcleung

Return to Usage Questions