Should there be a policy regarding photo posts?

Go ahead... ask the question, and see what everyone else thinks!

Moderator: wcleung

Should there be a policy regarding what photos are acceptable to share on this forum?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:11 am

No
46%
Yes
53%

Total votes : 15

Should there be a policy regarding photo posts?

Postby mustap on Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:11 am

People have strong feelings about the ethics of photography and birding. Do you believe there should be defined guidelines for what photos are acceptable to share?

If yes, what should those guidelines be?
Peeter Musta - mustap.smugmug.com
mustap
Site Admin

Re: Should there be a policy regarding photo posts?

Postby fred.urie on Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:09 pm

Last edited by fred.urie on Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fred.urie

Postby wcleung on Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:03 am

Hi Peeter, I personally do not enjoy photos taken via practices clearly harmful to the subject. My answer is "yes" without hesitation. Yours, Debbie
wcleung

Postby MikeV on Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:42 am

Funny people are posting for and against when they don't know what the guidelines are?

What would be deemed inappropriate?
Shooting with some Canon Stuff
MikeV

Postby karl egressy on Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:55 pm

I frequent only two sites lately: Naturescapes.net (NSN) and Birdphotogrphers.net (BPN)
Both have guidelines for posting.
Naturescapes has a Forum under: Environment, Conservations and Ethics.
You can discuss your views there without getting personal and hurting anybody who posts pictures.
This is a free Country, everybody is entitled to his/her opinion but it should be discussed at the appropriate Forum if it is possible.
It might be a good idea to create a Forum like the aforementioned one.
I'm pretty sure, Jon would support it.
karl egressy
Site Admin

Postby Mike on Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:39 am

karl egressy wrote:I frequent only two sites lately: Naturescapes.net (NSN) and Birdphotogrphers.net (BPN)
Both have guidelines for posting.
Naturescapes has a Forum under: Environment, Conservations and Ethics.
You can discuss your views there without getting personal and hurting anybody who posts pictures.
This is a free Country, everybody is entitled to his/her opinion but it should be discussed at the appropriate Forum if it is possible.
It might be a good idea to create a Forum like the aforementioned one.
I'm pretty sure, Jon would support it.

+1 In any community no one is perfect. I believe a superior approach is open discussion and education without any negativity towards individuals (which only serves to build walls). We are very fortunate in this forum to have knowledgable and experienced people from both the birding and photography community. By making all individuals feel welcome it creates opportunity for open discussion and education.
Let us all remember that the world we live in has major challenges regarding conservation. Many species are in major decline including song birds. It breaks my heart to read what we are doing to this beautiful world we live in.
I understand that any unethical actions are worth comment and discussion, but when I see the loss of habitat, wind turbines built on migratory routes, the thousands of song birds killed while migrating through Toronto. All generally excepted as "progression" with reaction only from a very small percentage of the population. It seems to me that any opportunity to educate should be welcomed with positive enthusiastic zeal. I pray my grand children have the opportunity to experience nature as I have.....but the cynic in me says no chance.
Thanks for reading the rambling of an old man (not that old). No reply is required or necessary, good wishes to all including Mr Dash
Mike

Postby MikeV on Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:19 am

Well said Mike, I guess from not being on the forum daily I missed whatever happened. Hence my question.
Shooting with some Canon Stuff
MikeV

Postby mustap on Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:40 pm

Looking around, i don't see that many policies regarding the photos themselves on various forums - including those highlighted by Karl. There are policies for discussing controversial topics, in a forum specifically intended for such discussion. There is another forum that has policy against taking photos of eggs/nests. Even OFO, as far as i can tell, doesn't have a policy regarding the photos posted there beyond preference given to members. Logically speaking, i would assume this is because it is a difficult thing to know or enforce. Personally, i think Mike said it very well.
Peeter Musta - mustap.smugmug.com
mustap
Site Admin

Return to Polls