Signs of fall...

Been to a particular "patch" lately? Post the conditions here (where to go, what to look for, etc) and help out those thinking of visiting the same area!

Moderator: wcleung

Signs of fall...

Postby Peter C. on Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:55 pm

True, southbound migration has been on for a while now, but this was new.

This morning, arriving at my workplace at around 0730, I heard a different sort of bird call (at this place - an office complex in the concrete desert they call Mississauga - anything other than Starling or House Sparrow is really "different"). It was familiar, but the sort of voice that I couldn't put a name to right away ... Brown Creeper was my first thought. I saw the bird fly from one tree to another (there aren't many to choose from), far across the parking lot, and so I followed it - eventually located it in a crabapple that was only slightly taller than I am. I should have known, a Golden-crowned Kinglet! Delightful birds, but, in this neck of the woods, a real harbinger of colder weather approaching.

P.C.
Peter C.

Re: Signs of fall...

Postby ktupman on Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:31 am

I had a small flock of dark-eyed juncos at Shades Mill Conservation Area this morning. It has begun.

Kevin
ktupman

Postby Peter C. on Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:38 am

ktupman wrote:I had a small flock of dark-eyed juncos at Shades Mill Conservation Area this morning. It has begun.

Kevin

:shock:
Arrrgh! That's scary, November-type stuff! 'Course, given what the weather was like Sunday (I was out running in it, brrrr!) I shouldn't be surprised.

The kinglets are not around today, but they've been replaced by a small flock of White-throated Sparrows. Amongst these, I noticed one bird which was significantly smaller, and olive - turned out to be an immature Common Yellowthroat.

It might give you some idea of the barrenness of the local environment to know that these were the first White-throats I have seen this year, and only the second Yellowthroat in the past eight years!
Peter C.,
Chief &c,
A.H.O.R.B.
Peter C.

Postby Peter C. on Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:00 am

Okay, this is getting weird...

There must be a real 'push' on, I suppose because of the arrival of such cold weather. Yesterday, as I was leaving the parking lot here, a Hairy Woodpecker crossed in front of my car, and alighted on the trunk of a small pine by the driveway! That is a very bizarre sighting for this place - I just checked, and it is in fact the first woodpecker of any species that I have seen at work. It (a "he" actually) must be really lost, since Hairies usually only like really big trees, in well-established forests (in contrast to the Downy, which gets everywhere).

Peter
Peter C.

Return to Current and Past Conditions/"Watch out for"'s