Recommended Locations to visit

For location information in and around Hamilton and Burlington

Moderator: wcleung

Recommended Locations to visit

Postby mbaglole on Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:39 am

Good Morning Everyone,

I have just taken a look at mustap's post about locations in Hamilton @ http://www.hamiltonnature.org/birds/locations.htm

I will be travelling to Hamilton/Burlington/Brantford this weekend and I was hoping to gain some insight on your favourite places to visit (or recommended?)

Thanks everyone,
mbaglole

Re: Recommended Locations to visit

Postby HighDHo on Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:54 pm

You really can't go too wrong with this particular area... Hamilton/Burlington is almost always a sure thing. The royal Botanical Garden trails are really nice. There's a couple off of York I believe. La Salle is almost always buzzing with ducks, geese and swans. There is a Pileated Woodpecker that frequents the area, and last year there was a breeding pair of carolina Wrens. Walk the trail there as well. There are several stops along Eastport Drive. If you like Gulls, you can't go wrong here, and although I haven't been there lately, the Cormorants should be back imminently. Windermere Basin is great too. Not too easy to get good pictures of the ducks here, unless you have a MEGA lense, but the trail through the area (more like a dirt road) is great for hawks and kestrals. There is a breeding pair of Peregines at the lift bridge. I suspect the Long-tailed Ducks and scoters are gone now, but ya never know.
Good luck!!!

Heidi
Nikon D5000 AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm 1:4.5-5.6G zoom lens with VR
Obsessed with raptors
HighDHo

Postby mustap on Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:57 pm

Saddington Park (Port Credit) is a popular place these days. Harlequin ducks are still there i believe, and a western grebe was seen recently...though distant, and not sure if still there. Plenty of ducks and such still around so LaSalle is still fun, might also get grebes here. Flocks of red-necked grebes at many shoreline areas like Fruitland Rd.

Burlington lift bridge should be fun, still some long-tailed ducks around...and chance at red-throated loon. I haven't seen any of the loons reported on Ontbirds here, but there are several being reported further south. The paths by windermere are still pretty quiet, tree sparrows, killdeer and a handful of Tree Swallows. Many ducks around the water there, but patience is required....they are not easy to approach. Observation near the canal end of windermere basin is recommended for ducks rather than the big body of water.

Driving around Saltfleet area can be productive. Along green mountain rd, 5th Rd. E area Northern Shrike, Eastern Meadowlark, Northern Mockingbird, Lesser Yellowlegs, Pectoral Sandpiper, Wilson's Snipe (which i believe is same as Common Snipe).

Off eastport drive there are hundreds if not thousands of gulls. Mostly Ring-billed, but you may pick up something more exotic. Cormorants are back there as well and guarding their nests. Red-breasted Mergansers are displaying.

Blenheim Lagoons near Rondeau is reporting early Wilson's Phalarope if you have registered for an entrance pass.

Hawk watches are in full swing, so Beamer CA might be worth your while if you don't mind a sore neck :D

Many birds are showing up early, so any of the popular migrant traps could be productive. You never know. Little Gulls already reported at Oshawa Second Marsh....so what might be lurking or arriving in Hamilton area with the warm front is anyone's guess. Shoreacres Park or any such spot might have some early birds you could be the first to see! Desjardins Canal will almost certainly have something to look at, and neighbouring Dundas Marsh as well.

In any case, should be a beautiful weekend to be out and about.
Peeter Musta - mustap.smugmug.com
mustap
Site Admin

Postby mbaglole on Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:08 pm

Thank you Mustap,

I will try to find these areas and hopefully venture around for a while :)!
mbaglole

Postby mbaglole on Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:16 pm

Mustap,

Where exactly is Beamer CA? I have found an Important Birding Area and its GPS coordinates. Where do I enter the area?

http://www.bsc-eoc.org/iba/site.jsp?siteID=ON023

Thanks!
mbaglole

Return to Hamilton, Burlington and Area Locations