Bronte Marsh

For location information in and around Hamilton and Burlington

Moderator: wcleung

Bronte Marsh

Postby mustap on Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:14 pm

Does anyone know where Bronte Marsh is, or where the Red-necked Grebes might be expected around Bronte Harbour?

Ontbirds reported that Black-crowned Night Herons have returned to Bronte Marsh.
Peeter Musta - mustap.smugmug.com
mustap
Site Admin

Postby jomo on Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:10 pm

Not entirely sure about Bronte Marsh, but the grebes usually nest by the Lighthouse Restaurant (on Ontario St at the very end of Bronte Rd).
jomo

Red necked grebe

Postby Karen on Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:27 am

Hi Peeter,
I was at the Bronte Harbour Marina 2 years ago in the summer and got some nesting greb shots. We parked in the public parking at the marina and the grebes were nesting in an area of water near the public bathrooms. Old tires are placed in the water for the grebes to build there nests on. Don't know about the Marsh area.
Karen
Attachments
grebe (177) copy 2web.jpg
grebe (177) copy 2web.jpg (180.67 KiB) Viewed 1328 times
Karen

Postby mustap on Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:53 pm

Thanks Karen and Jomo, I appreciate it. Will be nice to finally photograph this bird.
Peeter Musta - mustap.smugmug.com
mustap
Site Admin

Postby Josh Crozier on Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:47 am

I love that shot of the Grebe nesting: hard to imagine that it is doing so on an old tire! I think I'll have to check this one out. Do you recall what time of year you took the photo?

Nice to meet you last night and congratulations! I guess we have to free up some wall space for next month.
Josh Crozier

Postby Karen on Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:26 am

Congratulations to you too Josh...just a superb image of yours in the KPL/Record photography contest.

As far as the Grebe is concerned...it was shot in late July or August '06. The day we were there...we actually watched through our zoom lens 2 babies hatching. One had hatched the day before and was riding on his
Daddy's' back. It was such a great experience. We were shooting into the sun for most of the time but then a gentleman who had a boat in the Yacht club, took us through to a club members area to shot with the sun from our backs. I do have images of the grebe checking her 3 unhatched eggs, then a crack in one of the eggs, and then the little guy out of the egg and Mom moving the shell and Dad doing some feeding. Not all the greatest images technically...but a great documentation. Where I saw the birds nesting in '06, would probably be best for shooting in the evening with the sun behind. The shot posted was mid morning on the dock of the club members side. I didn't get there last year. Hope this helps.
Karen

Postby jomo on Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:39 pm

Someone usually posts status updates to ONTBIRDS once the Bronte grebes start nesting.
jomo

Return to Hamilton, Burlington and Area Locations