Hamilton last Saturday

For sightings in and around Hamilton and Burlington

Moderator: wcleung

Hamilton last Saturday

Postby hbruton on Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:19 am

Did the rounds in Hamilton last Saturday to see what was about. Lots and lots of Canada Geese along eastport drive with some Scaup and buffleheads mixed in. A large juvenile red tail was huddled down on the island the cormorants nest on. Couldn't get into the Windemere basin parking lot as they were working on the road in front and had thte gate shut. the Long Tailed Ducks have moved into the Lift Bridge canal in good numbers Great placet o practise flying shots as they zoomed in and out. Spotted many white winged Scoters off the tip, many in breeding plumage. A group of Greater Black Backed gulls were sleeping across the canal. Some Red Breasted merganzers also. Around the bay at the Williams near the Marina, a few greeen wing teals were amongts the many mallards and a couple coots. Off the point a good sized raft of Goldeneyes. Around at laSalle large numbers of Tundra and Mute swans are settling for the winter with large numbers of Canada Geese and mallards. Some buffleheads, scaup,coot, goldeyes and hooded Merganzers all along the park shore at the open marshy area on the boardwalk a pair of marsh wrens were singing and displaying with great verve. To the right of the walk out point a large number of ruddy ducks and goldeneyes could be spotted. Along the walk up the park the usual suspects of Juncos, sparrow, cardinals, nuthatches and some really pushy chickadees were abundent( the feeders were all empty so if you're generous bring some seed, the chickadees will love you for it). The walk was lovely with lots of snow on the trees. It's still early in the winter so it's bound to only get better.
hbruton

Re: Hamilton last Saturday

Postby Peter C. on Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:35 pm

Marsh Wrens? Displaying?
:?:
I've never seen a Marsh Wren doing a display (usually I can barely see them, period) - what were they doing?

P.C.
Peter C.

Postby hbruton on Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:07 pm

They were mostly singing and flitting around to rather conspicuous perches. \i've never seen them being so out in the open. It was a real surprise.
hbruton

Postby fred.urie on Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:13 am

Peter is being polite about calling attention to them being Carolina Wrens.

If they were Marsh Wrens, 50 listers would be dropping by the park.
fred.urie

Postby Peter C. on Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:35 pm

fred.urie wrote:Peter is being polite about calling attention to them being Carolina Wrens.

If they were Marsh Wrens, 50 listers would be dropping by the park.

Well, I was really just wondering about that word "display" - doesn't match my experience of any wren species outside of breeding season; but I suppose the interactions between a mated pair might count as a display (some form of bonding behaviour). If it is indeed a pair of Carolinas, this might make sense - I have seen two birds (presumably, a resident pair) calling back and forth in a non-agressive way at all times of the year.

P.c.
Peter C.

Postby fred.urie on Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:11 pm

fred.urie

Return to Hamilton, Burlington and Area Sightings