Van Wagner's Awesomeness - Oct 30

For sightings in and around Hamilton and Burlington

Moderator: wcleung

Van Wagner's Awesomeness - Oct 30

Postby fred.urie on Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:49 am

I have been through several big fallouts at Pelee, but 3 hours at the Lakeland Centre Oct. 30, Van Wagner's Beach, was probably the
most intense birding experience.

The group I was with had over 50 B. L. Kittiwakes by 1 PM. I wasn't using a scope, and saw 24 Kittiwakes, 2 species of Jaeger,
close Red-throated Loons, Brant, 3 species of Scoter, etc.

Up to 25 people were at Hutch's and Lakeland. A text at 11:45 said that a Leach's Storm-Petrel was rolling our way, and many
got their scope on it near shore, to pick out the field marks and behaviour.

A while later, a Wilson's Storm-Petrel skipped through the surf and disappeared into a swell. The Petrels were impossible to shoot,
but I got photos of a couple of groups of Kittiwakes.
fred.urie

Re: Van Wagner's Awesomeness - Oct 30

Postby fred.urie on Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:55 am

fred.urie

Postby fred.urie on Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:18 am

fred.urie

Van Wagner's on Halloween

Postby Peter C. on Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:53 pm

Having (of course) missed out on all the fun yesterday, I made there this morning. Unfortunately (but predictably!) it was dark for most of the time I was able to spend there (just a little over an hour) before work. The winds were not at all favourable - nothing like yesterday - Lake Ontario looked like a millpond. Aside from lots of the usual suspects (mostly White-winged Scoters), there was nothing I could positively identify. However, there were two individual birds which were very intriguing, but just did not stick around long enough to give a good views:

1) At about 0745, a medium-sized gull, fairly close in, but very hard to see well in the dimness. It showed a bit of a dark nape, and had a contrasting dark bar along the underside of the trailing edge of the wing (so, definitely not a Ring-bill - or a Kittiwake, for that matter). Disappeared over the causeway into Hamilton Harbour shortly afterwards.

2) At about 0810, a somewhat distant (just past the wave tower) bird of indeterminate family, flying in close company with a flock of 5-6 scoters. All I could see about it was that it had a compact body shape, looked all-dark (but then, at that hour, almost everything did), had very fast wingbeats ... and was able to keep pace with the scoters, which were really pelting along towards the Burlington side of the Bay. The really remarkable thing about this bird was that it was only 1/2 to 2/3 the size of the scoters, which greatly added to the impression of speedyness.

This, unfortunately, is one that I can't do anything about, it's just going to have to remain a mystery...
Peter C.,
Chief &c,
A.H.O.R.B.
Peter C.

Postby fred.urie on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:50 am

fred.urie

Postby fred.urie on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:18 pm

fred.urie

Postby fred.urie on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:56 pm