RFI--Luther Marsh

Locations in and around Northern Wellington County

Moderator: wcleung

RFI--Luther Marsh

Postby kellie on Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:26 pm

Hello,

I would like to request the trail conditions for Luther Marsh for anyone who has been there recently. I was there in February and the snow was deep. I know someone said they saw Sandhill Cranes and Trumpeter Swans last weekend, so presumably some of you who are reading this have been there recently. I would really appreciate any and all responses!

Kind regards,
Kellie
kellie

Re: RFI--Luther Marsh

Postby BirderGuelph1 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:12 am

I didn't realize this question was already asked but I am considering heading up to Luther on Sunday. I think I may be jumping the gun a little. With more cold weather coming I am wondering if there will be any open water/migrant possibility? I am assuming the trails will be a mess but it would be worth it if there are birds. I am positive there will be some blue jays awaiting my arrival but perhaps not much else? I was thinking Rattray Marsh or somewhere else on the lake would guarantee some activity. Any thoughts?

Off topic, but there was a Black-crowned Night-Heron spotted at Riverwood in Mississauga on the 11th I believe. Now that it's cold again do you suppose a bird like this would be harder to spot or is it just a luck thing and any day you could see it? I've never been to this place or seen this bird before so any info would be helpful. Thanks.

Curtis
BirderGuelph1

Postby fred.urie on Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:39 pm

Black-crowned Night Herons overwintered at Red Hill Creek @ Eastport Drive, Hamilton.

fred.urie

Postby BirderGuelph1 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:39 pm

Ah! I have a tendency to search the current month on Ebird and forgot to backtrack that one. Thanks, Fred. Sorry for turning this into a Night-heron discussion, Kellie.
BirderGuelph1

Postby jeff on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:00 am

Sorry, I missed this thread until now. I was the one up there two Sundays ago. I was on skis and it was pretty good (though warm that day). The snow on the bootlegger road was well compressed from the snowmobiles. Off the road, there was probably at least a foot of powder in the woods and more in the fields, though that is likely lessened now. The lake was pretty windswept so just a couple of inches of snow there on top of the ice.
jeff

Return to Wellington North - Fergus, Arthur, Luther Locations