Ontario Hummingbird Project

Links to web sites of interest

Moderator: wcleung

Ontario Hummingbird Project

Postby kellie on Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:00 am

Speaking of hummingbirds, have you heard about The Ontario Hummingbird Project?

In a nutshell, The Ontario Hummingbird Project is trying to document various data on hummingbirds in Ontario, like migration timing, nesting, vagrants, etc., and it seeks citizen participants to compile these data. If any of you have ever participated in Project FeederWatch Canada, it seems like a watered-down version of that. There are maps available to view sightings in Ontario (there are already some for this year in the area!) and information on vagrant hummingbirds. Apparently, the group believes Rufous Hummingbirds may pass through Ontario largely undetected on their migration south because of the common perception that the only Ontario hummingbird is the Ruby-throated Hummingbird. How cool is that? Check out this link for more information on this particular aspect of the project. The website is very nice (ample information but not too long) and is totally worth a lunch-hour check-out! I hope some from the forum decide to contribute to the project; especially those of you with many hummingbird feeders. I know I'll be submitting data when I see my first hummingbird at my feeders (hopefully!)!

Kellie
kellie

Return to Links