Photoprice.ca

Links to web sites of interest

Moderator: wcleung

Photoprice.ca

Postby Malcolm on Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:54 pm

Some of you may know of this site... I didn't until a day or so ago when I stumbled onto it while looking for better lense pricing than I could find locally. They obviously will not have every possible supplier but they certainly cover enough to get a good sense of relative pricing. Have a look at the suppliers from Alberta and BC. Not only were they substantially lower than those in Ontario for the base cost but you also don't pay provincial sales tax. Have a look.
http://www.photoprice.ca/
Malcolm
 
Posts: 1074
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:16 pm

Re: Photoprice.ca

Postby karl egressy on Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:12 pm

Thanks Malcolm.
I found an other good one on the Internet:
http://soniccameras.com/catalog/product ... ts_id=4519
The price of a brand ne Canon 1D MarkIII is $1999 US only this week.
With the conversion factor and sales that it would be about $ 2600 CAN.
Too bad I don't have the money right now.
Last edited by karl egressy on Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
karl egressy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3320
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:31 am
Location: Guelph, On.

Re: Photoprice.ca

Postby Malcolm on Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:47 pm

karl egressy wrote:Thanks Malcolm.
I found an other good one on the Internet:
http://soniccameras.com/catalog/product ... ts_id=4519
The price of a brand ne Canon 1D MarkIII is $1999 US only this week.
With the conversion factor and sales tah it would be about $ 2600 CAN.
Too bad I don't have the money right now.


Karl that is an unbelievable price... it's 50% of what Henry's is charging. I had a look at some of the other products in Canon's lineup and they all seem to have major price differences to anything I've seen in Canada or the US. Have you any experience with these people? Is this too good to be true?
Malcolm
 
Posts: 1074
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:16 pm

Re: Photoprice.ca

Postby karl egressy on Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:16 pm

No I haven't.
I deal with Henry's and B&H but they look OK.
I might ask this question on naturescapes.
karl egressy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3320
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:31 am
Location: Guelph, On.

Re: Photoprice.ca

Postby jbrierley on Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:18 pm

I have no experience with them (never heard of them), but $2000 cheaper than anywhere else would make me pause. That's $1700 less than B & H (who I have dealt with and who are reputable) which would make me pause again.

But then again, who knows?
jbrierley
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1931
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:13 pm
Location: Guelph, Ontario

Re: Photoprice.ca

Postby karl egressy on Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:01 pm

I have already posted on naturescapes. I got a link. It shows that the rating of this store is; 0.7 on scale to 0-10.
In comparison the rating of B&H is; 9.7.
They say it is nothing but a scam.
Sorry!! :(
karl egressy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3320
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:31 am
Location: Guelph, On.

Re: Photoprice.ca

Postby Malcolm on Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:16 pm

Good catch Karl, thanks for double checking.
Malcolm
 
Posts: 1074
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:16 pm

Re: Photoprice.ca

Postby Gary Irwin on Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:21 pm

In Ontario, the only store you need is http://www.thecamerastore.com/. Aggressive pricing, $10 shipping on most items and no PST.

Given the international currency situation, US based suppliers are no longer competitive -- and it's about to get worse.
- Gary
Images best viewed from my photo site http://www.pbase.com/garyirwin in 'original' size
Be sure to visit Nature Images Online Magazine - http://photographersonlinemagazine.blogspot.com/
Gary Irwin
 
Posts: 507
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:28 am
Location: London, Ontario

Re: Photoprice.ca

Postby Malcolm on Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:43 pm

Gary Irwin wrote:In Ontario, the only store you need is http://www.thecamerastore.com/. Aggressive pricing, $10 shipping on most items and no PST.

Given the international currency situation, US based suppliers are no longer competitive -- and it's about to get worse.


Nobody is going to have the best price all the time for everything and the beauty of Photoprice is that it does a bit of the leg work for you and then you just need to round out the survey with folks like The Camera Store. As it happened I checked The Camera Store's pricing for what I was looking for after checking Photoprice and opted to go with McBain. They both have good reputations but McBain had the better all in price by $100.
Malcolm
 
Posts: 1074
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:16 pm

Re: Photoprice.ca

Postby Brad Ouellette on Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:07 pm

I have been saving some money for quite a while now and seelling my old equipment, to upgrade a whole new set up before the birding season comes and i have been paying close attention to prices on the internet. I found this website that seems to have pretty reasonable prices check it out and tell me what you think http://www.broadwayphoto.com/cat/Digita ... _Mark_III/
I also found that website sonic cameras.com and was really interested in buying that 1D mark iii from there but now that karl had checked it out its changed my mind thanks karl.
Brad Ouellette
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:35 pm
Location: Leamington, Ontario

Re: Photoprice.ca

Postby Malcolm on Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:52 pm

Brad Ouellette wrote:I have been saving some money for quite a while now and seelling my old equipment, to upgrade a whole new set up before the birding season comes and i have been paying close attention to prices on the internet. I found this website that seems to have pretty reasonable prices check it out and tell me what you think http://www.broadwayphoto.com/cat/Digita ... _Mark_III/
I also found that website sonic cameras.com and was really interested in buying that 1D mark iii from there but now that karl had checked it out its changed my mind thanks karl.


Don't have a comment on Broadway Photo other than to say that their price is what B&H is asking for a used version of that camera. Assuming that it is a legit price for a new camera then you still need to add on the appropriate sales tax (not sure if you pay the NY State tax or Ont sales tax) and the international shipping fee (about $300) and then currency convert it.
Malcolm
 
Posts: 1074
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:16 pm

Re: Photoprice.ca

Postby Gail on Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:53 am

Makes me feel good that the price of my Sony A700 from last May was still less than all the present prices. I really thought it would have dropped a lot more by now.
Gail
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:54 pm
Location: Waterloo, Ontario

Re: Photoprice.ca

Postby Malcolm on Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:19 am

Gail wrote:Makes me feel good that the price of my Sony A700 from last May was still less than all the present prices. I really thought it would have dropped a lot more by now.


Now all you need is the bazooka lense :roll:
Malcolm
 
Posts: 1074
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:16 pm

Re: Photoprice.ca

Postby jakesddfj on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:54 am

Good post.I really think what you said is right,in modern society,we have so many troubles,if you feel nothing to relax yourself,I suggest you to play the runescape and some other games,and you can come to my page to find more information about wow gold and diablo 3 gold|Guild Wars 2 gold kaufen
jakesddfj
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:41 am


Return to Links

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron