eBird

Links to web sites of interest

Moderator: wcleung

eBird

Postby Mike Burrell on Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:16 am

http://ebird.org/content/canada/

Online databasing of bird records. I highly recomend it - give some purpose to all those bird sightings. You can upload existing sightings with their import tool.
Mike Burrell
Heidelberg and Toronto, Ontario
http://individual.utoronto.ca/heidelberg/
Mike Burrell

Postby jbrierley on Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:46 pm

It's nice to see eBird finally getting an import tool, Mike! I contacted them about four years ago about submitting Sightings Explorer sightings, but never got a response. I'll have to see about allowing an export option in the software for it.
jbrierley
Site Admin

Postby Mike Burrell on Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:25 pm

Ya it definitly opens it up to people that have used some way to database their records. I had kept all of my records in Microsoft Access, so copying them into Excel and formatting for upload only took a few minutes.

They also have some options for a couple (?) of common bird database programs.

I think eBird has some pretty exciting potential as far as looking at trends in birds!
Mike Burrell
Mike Burrell

Re: eBird

Postby Mike Burrell on Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:12 pm

As the migration season gets underway I wanted to encourage you all to be logging your bird records (they are all valuable!). There are many ways to do it, from pen and paper to digital...my personal favourite is eBird which is a free online database run jointly by Cornell/Bird Studies Canada etc.

I've copied below a note from Dick Cannings, the coordinator of eBird Canada, which will let you know about some of the new features added recently. He missed one new featue, which came out today, which I've attached to his message.

If you have any questions about eBird I'd be happy to help.

eBird News

Hello eBirders! Much has happened in the eBird world recently and I felt it was high time for a newsletter to tell you about the new tools and features. Some of you have become regular users of eBird in the two and a half years since Bird Studies Canada launched eBird Canada, while I know others have only entered a few checklists and are perhaps “lapsed eBirders”. I hope that this newsletter will rekindle the enthusiasm for you all. Check it all out at http://www.ebird.ca!

eBird certainly has captured the imagination of many Canadian birders. We now have almost 200,000 Canadian checklists in the database, representing about 2 million bird records. This means that you can explore bird data from all over Canada, generating bargraph checklists for provinces or for birding hotspots across the country or detailed maps of bird sightings anywhere. If you want to see an example of what eBird data can do, have a look at the bargraph checklist of the birds of my neighbourhood by clicking the following link:

http://ebird.org/ebird/canada/GuideMe?s ... e=Continue .

Explore the data deeper by clicking on any of the bird species names to see more detailed seasonal graphs of frequency and abundance (as well as a map of my neighbourhood!).

But back to the main point of this newsletter—the new features on eBird.

1. New maps

Until recently, eBird Canada maps were rather limited in scale and information content. Things are completely different now! We are using a Google Maps interface that displays locations as red dots on satellite or street maps (recent sightings are shown as yellow dots)—you can zoom in as close as you like to see exactly where the location is. The maps are also interactive in that you can click on any location and see a list of all the actual sightings—dates, numbers and observers. Find out more at

http://ebird.org/content/ebird/news/new-ebird-maps

2. Bulk uploads

If you have your bird sightings in a database on your computer you can probably upload the data into eBird quite easily. It is especially easy for those using popular bird sightings database programs such as AviSys and BirdBase, several of which now have dedicated eBird functions that will format your files automatically. If you have any questions about this feature, please let me know—I’d be happy to help. To find out more go to

http://ebird.org/content/ebird/about/us ... mport-tool

3. Download your data

You can now download all your eBird data into a spreadsheet file at the click of a button. Simply go to the My eBird page and click on the Download my Data link on the lower right. Your data will be emailed to you in spreadsheet form. This is a great help for those who appreciate all the quick and easy data exploration tools on eBird, but really want to look at our own data in more detail—or simply have it backed up on their own computer.

4. New listing features

It is easier than ever to generate life lists, year lists and location lists from your eBird data. Simply go to My eBird and your list totals will be displayed; you can click on whichever tab you’re interested in—Major Regions (e.g. countries/continents) or Provinces. If you want to see your list totals for any given year, click on the blue number link beside the region you’re interested in. That will bring up your list for this year (it may well be zero!). You can look at previous year lists then by changing the year in the little menu box in the upper right. To get location lists, click on the blue number link for the provincial life list your location is in. That will bring up your life list for that province. Then click on any species in the list you know you’ve seen at that location. That will create a list of all your sightings of that species. Then find a sighting from the location of interest and click on the name of the location—voila, you’ll have a list of all the birds you’ve seen at that location. If you want to see the checklist from any date from that location, click on that date. The possibilities go on and on.

5. Expanded geographical coverage

You can now enter or explore bird sightings data from anywhere in North, Central or South America with eBird, and New Zealand was added last year. Worldwide coverage is just around the corner, too—so if you’ve got lists from Borneo, Belgium or Bhutan you could be in luck by the end of the year.

6. Checklist sharing

If you go out birding with one or more friends, only one of you has to enter that data into eBird. Once you’ve entered the data, simply click on the Share This Checklist link, provide the name(s) of the other observers, and an email will be sent to your birding buddies. They can then click on the link to accept the checklist, editing it as necessary to remove birds they missed or add ones that they saw (and you didn’t!). Find out more at

http://ebird.org/content/canada/news/ne ... st-sharing

There are many more detailed features and improvements in eBird, but I think you’ll quickly see how interesting and exciting this resource can be—even if you don’t enter any data yourself. But eBird relies on data coming in from birders like you, so please think about contributing regularly if you aren’t already. But be careful, it can get quite addictive!

New Feature: eBird Top 100!
April 1, 2009

We're proud to introduce a new feature at eBird called the "eBird Top 100." Using this new tool found under the "View and Explore Data" tab, you can now see your position in relation to other eBird users in a variety of geographic regions including ABA area country, state and county. We offer two different rankings: the total number of species reported, or the total number of complete checklists submitted. Our users have asked for a tool like this so that they can see where they stand in relation to other birders in their region of interest. We hope this new tool will inspire healthy competition among eBirders, and increase the amount of checklists submitted by inspiring birders to get out and collect more new data, as well as promote the entry of historic records. Click on "View and Explore Data" to find out how you rank among the best eBirders in the country!

Maybe you are a birder who focuses on a particular county, or maybe you spend most of your time birding within a certain state. Have you ever wondered where you are in terms of species reported in relation to other eBirders in your region of interest? The new eBird Top 100 tool will let you know! When you select a geographic region, the Top 100 tool will immediately display your rank at the top of that region in highlighted yellow, and below will list the Top 100 people in the region, along with their most recent species addition.

In addition to the display of the Top 100 birders who have submitted the most species, we offer another metric that is of great importance: the number of complete checklists submitted. We feel strongly that birders should be encouraged to submit complete checklists
when possible, which in turn provides better data for science.

If you aren't happy with where you stand on the Top 100 in your region you can do two things: get out there and find more birds, or grab those old notebooks off your shelves and start entering your old data into eBird!
Mike Burrell
Mike Burrell

Re: eBird

Postby thlmobile on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:46 pm

I'll have to see about allowing an export option in the software for it.

Return to Links